Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cloudy tank

Started by Darth, January 29, 2008, 08:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

I came home tonight, my brain is shriveled and my tank is extremely cloudy, could the brain have died and released something in the tank?

kennyman

have anything that likes to dig? Recently a scallop decided to move and did some major digging in my reeftank. Most of my corals retract when the substrate gets disturbed like that and it makes things cloudy.

Also calcium additions duplicate this scenario.

Darth

I added a calcium supplement this morning, everything was fine I left my house about 4:30, came back the brain was shriveled, and parts were hard (don't know much about them) now it looks like my tank is a swirling crystal ball. I can barely see my yellow lyretail damsel

Adam

Might be that the calcium concentration was so big that it came out of solution..?  Do a water change, see how it works.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Darth

would it have waited 12 hours to have an effect?

Darth

maybe it was my skimmer, it wasn't set properly and not skimming like it should, it is now, I will check it in the morning and see

Darth

Well it seems to have been some sort of bioligical imbalance, someone thought it might have been my powerhead pointing at the sand (this was not the case) but the tank is crystyal once again yaay!

target

Occasionally corals try to breed by spewing cloudy "stuff" ;) intothe water with the hopes that another coral nearby will spew different "stuff" ;) and create baby corals. Not all corals propagate this way but brains might. it does tend to cloud up the water like crazy.

glad its clear again
Jer

gvv

OK, this is not your case, but I have Flat Blade Variety caulerpa macro (C. prolifera) in my "experimental" 15G tank and once after it filled the whole tank it suddenly died off and water in the tank was like milk. In 2 days it was back clean and clear, but most of the macro gone.
Later on I rad about this in one of the forums where they suggested that you need to prune  this macro to avoid this effect.

Regards

kennyman

Quote from: Darth on January 31, 2008, 05:20:53 PM
Well it seems to have been some sort of bioligical imbalance, someone thought it might have been my powerhead pointing at the sand (this was not the case) but the tank is crystyal once again yaay!

I don't know if you are testing or not but make sure you know your PH/ALK/Ca before deciding to add anything. You should not be adding ca unless you have dropped below a threshold around 380ppm otherwise you can cause a chain reaction that can nuke your tank. Also how much Ca can be dissolved is dependant on such things as Salinity. As salinity drops below SG of 1.025 less Ca can be dissolved so the threshold of when to add Ca will be lower.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php