Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

auction

Started by stavieboy, February 28, 2005, 08:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: "dpatte"thanks art, but i guess i was looking for a more detailed list of volunteer jobs that need to be filled, and how many people you need for each task.

We don't have specific numbers, but based on my notes we will need

- runners  (after an item is sold you take it from the auctionneer and bring it to the cashier's table)

- table movers (move items from the pre-viewing area tables to a table on wheels, then from that table to a table at the front)

- raffle ticket sellers

- recorders (sit at the front table and write down the items sold, to which bidder and for how much)

dandaman

Were talking good green and blue guppies.
80- 5 Tropheus Brichardi Malagarasi
55- Planted Communnity
35- Discus/Angel Community
10- Breeding tank

Marc

Quote from: "dandaman"There is a draw?
What size tanks :D

The raffle information has now been posted on the OVAS front page

dandaman

80- 5 Tropheus Brichardi Malagarasi
55- Planted Communnity
35- Discus/Angel Community
10- Breeding tank

mseguin

Well I put my name down at the last meeting to volunteer at the auction, just waiting for someone to contact me.
Matt

Julie

Can you estimate how long the actual auction is?
I could be a runner or recorder.

Julie

gvv

Quote from: "Julie"Can you estimate how long the actual auction is?

Julie

So do I...

Marc

Quote from: "Julie"Can you estimate how long the actual auction is?

Julie

In past years the auction went from 1:00pm to 6:00pm but with this year's new auction format we're hoping to be done at least an hour earlier.

But! To volonteer you don't need to commit to be there for the whole auction.  If you can only help for an hour that's good enough.  If you can help longer, great!

Best bet is to show up and we'll find you something to do.

We'll also need some help in setting up the room as early as 10:00am.   That mostly involves setting up tables and chairs.

Marc

Sue

an easy job that a volenteer could do early in the day (for hour or so)  is to help buyers register and get their bidder numbers. Expain the basic rules of the auction and/or encourage them to read the info/rules on the back of their bidder number.

mseguin

Will volunteers be able to bid while doing their task or will they have to take a break? Obviously I'm talking about stuff going on during the auction itself.

Marc

It depends on what you're doing.  Most jobs you can pause what you're doing and bid on something.

dannypd

Quote from: "Marc"It depends on what you're doing.  Most jobs you can pause what you're doing and bid on something.

Do I hear $2?   Yes I do, from me, do I hear $3?

Julie

Sue, I like your suggestion.  Early in the day is 10ish?
Question about the auction, if you purchase something do you wait until the whole auction is over to pay and take it home?

tx,
Julie

artw

Quote from: "dannypd"
Quote from: "Marc"It depends on what you're doing.  Most jobs you can pause what you're doing and bid on something.

Do I hear $2?   Yes I do, from me, do I hear $3?

actually, technically, this year, if the auctioneer wants to bid on something they only have to keep their hand up while they call out the numbers :D

FreeFloat

I helped out last year (as a runner) and bought quite a handful of stuff, right Art? :D  (surprised it all fit in the vehicle.....)

artw

Quote from: "Julie"Sue, I like your suggestion.  Early in the day is 10ish?
Question about the auction, if you purchase something do you wait until the whole auction is over to pay and take it home?

tx,
Julie

Hi Julie
when you purchase something at the Auction you will be paying for it right away.  (this is a new system this year).

dpatte

and the other half of arts answer is that you will also be getting the item right away, so you dont have to stay to the very end.

( unless you brought items to be sold in which you have to wait, because Marc, the master of all buy and sell lists, waits to the end to pay the sellers. )

artw

Julie wont want to leave until the end,  because that is when we are raffling off the 77 gallon tank.  :D

Julie

I don't know, I think I'll need to relocate my livingroom couch or diningroom cabinet to accompany another tank.
There's tanks on all 3 floors of this house.  Maybe a sunroom or the garage??? :wink:
Hate to say it but hub pub goldfish in the pool when we closed it down for the season.

Julie

mseguin

Just wondering if anyone was going to contact me about volunteering for the auction, (left phone number at last meeting). I won't be available tomorrow since I have class in the morning and work till 9.