Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

acanthastrea coral

Started by starfish, February 03, 2008, 10:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starfish

hi,

i have an acanthastrea in my set up that i am selling(parting out) and it is the bright orange colored one...i beleive someone here on ovas also has one...mine is about 4 inches lond x 2 1/2 -3 inches wide

my question is that i have researched it on the internet and depending on size it says they are worth anywhere from $200-$600

can someone please tell me the true value and what would be a good price to ask for this piece

thanks in advance

starfish

hi,

it doesn't look like that but if you right in the bar on top of this board (acanthastrea) you can see my other post about this coral and someone has posted a picture of his and that is what mine looke like

thanks

sniggir

that would be mine while being a very high quality acan it is not a ausie,,, rge ausie's are the ones that are like 500-1000, that being said it is a great peice and one of my fav for sure

[attachment deleted by admin]
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Zoe

As far as I can tell, they seem to go for 5-15$ per polyp, but less if it's for a large colony. In your position I'd probably start at ~250$ and go from there if you don't get any interest. You may have better luck making a couple frags.

sniggir

acan's are very easy to frag but take time to recuperate... like you could sell them after 2 weeks type deal
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

ray

Hi while Pat's is a nice acan those colonies can be had on a regular basis for $50-$60 retail.While the Australian ones do command a higher price very seldom will you pay more than afew hundred.It  is an american craze w/ acans that is driving the price up there.

Ray

Julie

Retail Stores in the Toronto area sell acan colonies for approx $60.00. Aquarium pros has the retailers listed and some of them may be aussies.

Tyler.L

aussie acans regardless of where you go, you will pay for what you're getting. Indo acans which is what you probably have don't go for that much as the prices stated above, while aussies can go from $50-150 a polyp and upwards of $599 for a colony.

sniggir

and that is were they start... the realy color ful ones go for like 1000 for a colony... and not a big one

kennyman

It's all simply about having a colour that not many people have yet. Its purely a fad based on competition between hobbyists and has nothing to do with the species of acan or where it came from. If you pay $1000 for an acan colony this year dont be surprised to see it sell for $100 a few years from now.

beertech

If you pay $1000 for an Acan colony, give me a call, I've got some land to sell you....... ;)

sniggir

yea I know.... and I have this real cool bag of air to sell aswell...I mean, the other reason for their heafty $$$ is that the divers are only aloud to collect so much, and that you can't just buy the A grade peices you are forced into buying lesser grade aswell. in other words they are keeping the varieties in demand,

completely agree tho if i spent 1000$ on a coral I would have to be nuts.... altho I had discussed getting one at 500..... does that make me half as nuts ::).....

kennyman

Quote from: sniggir on February 05, 2008, 09:50:32 AM
yea I know.... and I have this real cool bag of air to sell aswell...I mean, the other reason for their heafty $$$ is that the divers are only aloud to collect so much, and that you can't just buy the A grade peices you are forced into buying lesser grade aswell. in other words they are keeping the varieties in demand,

completely agree tho if i spent 1000$ on a coral I would have to be nuts.... altho I had discussed getting one at 500..... does that make me half as nuts ::).....

lol well you do have some awesomely beautiful pieces in your tank! But I really do think that this whole acan craze is a manufactured thing. From everyting written about them they can be fragged easily and grow well. If you can make $1000  by selling 10 frags cultured from a $500 piece than I dont think your crazy. But the people who bought the frags are likely a bit bonkers  :D

PowderBlueTang

Unfortunately there are people that will fork out the money for a piece of coral that no one has. But is it really worth the money! In a year or two that coral will be at normal prices. and the person would be holding a worthless coral after the craze was over.

sniggir

this is all very true, I guess it all depends on how much cash you want to fork out... me well even if I wanted to spend 1000 on a coral.... I couldn't... my girl's... house ... wife... dog.. cats..... list goes on but they are spectaular... and one of my fav LPS...

Tyler.L

i dunno guys i'm 100% bit by the bug but dont have that kinda cash to throw around....once i have the 75 setup im going full sps, but will definatly 1000% have aussie acans in there at whatever price i have to pay for the A grade. Its not that its a fad....you look at any of these aussie peices and tell me that you just dont care, i just can't factor in that kinda cash but will drive down to toronto here and there and pick up whatever i can...aussie acans are wicked, who cares what anyone pays for anything!!!

Julie

I paid $15 per polyp for red/orange/yellow aussie.  I officially have 3 polyps, so if you guys wait a couple years and save your dollars I'll have a big sale  ;) one day. 
Oh yes I have the blue/red x 2 polyps.... :)  so place your orders I plan on becomming aussie Rich.  ???