Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

microstar?

Started by kennyman, February 05, 2008, 11:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyman

I have no idea where this came from or how long it has been in my system but my first thought was Flatworm! I went through my books and online resources and found a match posted on Reefs.org in the hitchhikers submition section. But it is not identified yet. Has anyone noticed one of these in their system and if so did it grow up to eat corals? Or did you flush it before it had a chance to multiply?

Do you think its a cute little Sea-Star or an evil Flatworm?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bubbles

I've had them before and also now in my new tank.

I've not seen mine get much bigger than the one you have and I have never caught them eating any corals.
I think that they are called Asterina Stars

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/asterinafaqs.htm

Jeff

kennyman

Thanks Jeff. The link you posted has a picture in the top right that looks just like the critter in my tank! So I'm guessing your vote is on "a cute little starfish"  ;D

FishPassion

Ken I have had these for a few years and have sometimes hundreds of them in my tanks.
I also have inquired in the past and was told by other hobbiests that they are "little white stars" (go figure :) ) and are the sign of a healthy tank and do not harm or damage anything...
Klaus
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

kennyman

thanks big guy! I'm feeling happy I didn't flush it last night  :D

az

i have had no problems with them but someone mentioned that those stars are eating their sps polyps (tank has been running for over 17years).
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

AdamN

Yup ... I know they eat zoas for one.