Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

EEK! is this what i think it is?

Started by groan, February 10, 2008, 11:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groan

sorry for the bad shot, its buried inside this piece of rock.
If you have a suggestion of how to get rid of it, let me know...the rock dosnt have anythign else on it so if it means I should pull it out and scrub it I may be able to. I could also let it dry out or even toss it out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Terry

I cannot tell from your photo, but if it is aptasia then Joe's Juice works very well.  Also good for a lot of small nuisance anemones, etc

Terry
Terry

groan

its definatley aiptasia. it's opened up further now and has that teltale long stalk.

grr...
i havnt seen it anywhere else in the tank, so maybe I'll just use this peice as gravel and break up the rock, and toss the peice with the aiptasia outside to freeze to death! MWAHAHAHa

Heidi

peppermint shrimp eat aptasia - you can also get one of them!!!
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

xenon

Definately aptasia. Make up some kalk paste. :)

groan

Quote from: xenon on February 10, 2008, 12:22:55 PM
Definately aptasia. Make up some kalk paste. :)
what the hecdk is that?!

I love peppermint shrimp! maybe i'll go visit Az this afternoon...is he open today?...checking.

assiegordon

I've had good luck with the boiling vinegar injection method.  My tank is fairly large, so 1 milliliter of vinegar isn't going to do anything, except the the aptasia.  Suck the pieces out with a turkey baster

groan

Quote from: assiegordon on February 10, 2008, 12:37:44 PM
I've had good luck with the boiling vinegar injection method.  My tank is fairly large, so 1 milliliter of vinegar isn't going to do anything, except the the aptasia.  Suck the pieces out with a turkey baster
so boil some vinigar and then use a needle to inject into the aiptasia directly? it's pretty small aiptasia, i'd probably just pass the needle through it...
there's only one stalk...

Oh, az doesnt have any peppermint shrimp :(

Tyler.L

pat aka redbelly had about 15 i would say when i was there last night

groan

I may go visit him next weekend.
so far it is not a threat, but will deal with it as soon as i can

percula99

I like using vinegar to rid myself of aptaisia. It's my preferred method. Of course I have two heniochus now so I don't get them anymore. Take a syringe, the type that comes in test kits and put some plain white vinegar in there. Try to put the end in the mouth of the aptaisia and squirt. If you can't get it in the mouth, squirt anyway. They usually just vaporize when hit with vinegar. It's just too acidic for them. It works great.
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..