Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MAJANO ANEMONE OR NOT ?

Started by jeeper014, February 15, 2008, 10:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeeper014

Here a picture , help me out please

Is it Majano or something else ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

xenon

Definately aptasia. Kill it!!!!  ;D

Julie

It looks like an aiptasia, does it pop back into it's crevice when you approach it with the syringe?
If not a yellow polyp, but it doesn't appear yellow??

jeeper014

It is lime green like a hammer or frogspawn tips ... unde the actinic and if i touch it it dosen't retract

Darth

Julie

veron

hmmm I do not think thats aptasia, its some sort of yellow/green
polyp. its not a majano IMO either.
I've seen these type and they can spread just like zoas/palys.

Heidi

I think I have a few of these going on my tanks - at least for mine - they appear semi-harmless. The 2 I have in my 45 gal - cruise around like a bubble tip but don't seem to do anything else. They have gone from beside Leathers to now being cuddled up with some zoos and there doesn't seem to be any bad feedback. I have another 2 in my 25 gal that I've seen much on a stalk of xenia but for the most part leaves everything else alone. They are living on my glass now and don't touch anything. I feed them occassionally and they act like anormal anemone would. The ones in my 25 are a lime, pale green with some pink towards the center. The ones in my 45 are more a drab brownish.  All 4 however have come from a single polyp (if you want to call it that). As they split - I moved one into my 25 gal and now it has split into 2.  My husband thinks it's majano but I don't know. He wants it dead but I think I'll leave it for now. When we get a sump up and going - they can live in there.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

veron

if its mobile,get rid of it!! aptasia and majanos can/will become pests in no time and you will curse the day.

the one in the photo here indeed just looks like a polyp especially for the fact it didn't retract when touched or approached. aptasia will try to disappear into the rock work

SuperT

I agree it looks like a polyp.

Terry

az

def not aptasia or majano, thx.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

AdamN

yeah it does not look like any aiptasia or majano I have ever seen either.

jeeper014

Fo some more information .. It does not retract and it is not mobile ...

But can sting other corals ... I try to move a frag of Pom pom Xenia and he sting !!

So i got rid of them !! but i kept some in case it is not aiptasia .. il try to find out

Thanks

CataclysmJane

Easy way to tell:

If it retracts (which you say it doesn't) into a hole on the rock, it's an aiptasia.
If it just closes up it's "tentacles" like a touched zoanthid would, it's a polyp of some sort.

AdamN

Quote from: jeeper014 on February 20, 2008, 12:32:54 PM
Fo some more information .. It does not retract and it is not mobile ...

But can sting other corals ... I try to move a frag of Pom pom Xenia and he sting !!

So i got rid of them !! but i kept some in case it is not aiptasia .. il try to find out

Thanks

sounds like some sort or polyp

CataclysmJane

Also, aiptasia look almost transparent and squishy.  Polyps will be opaque.

jeeper014

Searching the web for Mojano's Anemone .. and looking at picture, they seem to be green looking ..

If i touch it .. they don't retract and they don't really close either .. kinda weird

CataclysmJane

It is definitely not a majano anemone.  My best guess is that it is some sort of yellow polyp.

greddy

I think these are some sort of evil twin to majano's.  They spread like crazy and split quite quickly.  Sadly I have some of these in my predator tank, with a few corals.  They so far have stung some of my xenia, and numerous mushrooms. 

I'm currently trying to eradicate them from my system. I had a raccoon butterfly who ate alot of them before becoming eaten himself by my moray ! Fun times.....and expensive meals !

I found Joes juice works nicely for these...a better kill rate than compared to aiptasia...Maybe time to try a  XXL copperband that wont fit into the morays mouth ???

Good luck