Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Kalkwasser and you

Started by groan, February 17, 2008, 10:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groan

At the Bi Gals Boxing Day sale i picked up a bucket of instant ocean salt...that was swiped from me before i could pay for it (savages) so i had to get the coralife stuff.
In conversation with some people i have found out that the4 coralife stuff lacks in some of the elements that IO salt has, one is calcium.

It was suggested that i use kalkwasser to up the calcium in my topoff water. the problem is i dont have a dosing station nor a reactor. it was suggested that i could mix it in a bucket with water by adding a tablespoon or 2 to a 5 gallon mixture and let it mix for 24 hours before using it (make sure not to use any of the silt if there is any).

I just want to make sure this sounds right to anyone who has used it or if you have any other methods of using kalkwasser. i already bought it so i intend to use it.

thats all, just looking for confirmation that this will work. Also i need to get a calcium test kit, i guess...

jeffd

along for the ride...wondering the same. Maybe dave88 will comment as he seems to have it down pat :)

Rudall

I read an article on Reefkeeping.com, I'll try and post the link here: A Simple DIY Kalk Dripper by Agu Lukk - Reefkeeping_com.htm.  It may not work though.
Anyway, I got a couple of 1 gallon jugs from the grocery store ($.99ea.).  You drill 2 holes in the top to snuggly fit some airline tubing.  One should be rather stiff so it does not tend to curl up and leave it about 1/2" off the bottom of the jug.  The other hole you just put a short piece of tubing in, which you simply blow into to start the drip.  The jug of course has to be elevated from your tank or sump.  To control the drip, I use a line clamp that I got from the Red Cross while donating blood.  They throw them out after you are done, so I asked for a few.
  I add my top off water in this fashion every day.  Mix one jug the day before so one is always ready to put into place.  As for raising calcium levels, I don't think it is very good for this, but what it does is keep the levels of Alk/Calcium very stable.
  For one gallon of water, add 1 teaspoon of Kalk.  Mix well and let sit for several hours so the sediment goes to the bottom, you don't want this into the tank.
  Could try and post a picture if you like.
     Rick

xenon

How much water do you evaporate per day and how much cal/alk do your corals use up?

You can keep your cal/alk levels stable by mixing 2 table spoons (30ml) of kalk for every gallon of top-off water.

The problem with kalk is that you are limited by the amount of water you evaporate. If you dosed more than your evaporation rate your salinity would drop. Some people add fans to increase the evaporation rate so that they can drip more kalk.

If your corals use up too much cal/alk than you will need a calcium reactor. The problem with a calcium reactor is that your PH will drop due to the C02. Kalk is a great supplement to a calcium reactor because the ph is 12dkh in top-off water once fully saturated so it will keep ph at a reasonable level.

Here is a chart to help you out.

Dave88

I have a diy system similar to the one Rudall described.  I use a instant ocean pail and use 3-4 teaspoons of kalk and mix with ro water and let it sit overnight and start dripping into my sump.  Just mark the water level on your sump or tank with a piece of tape and adjust your drip to keep the water level at the mark.  With my clams and sps corals I find that I still have to add supplemental calcium and buffer once in a while.  It is said that adding Kalk helps precipitate phosphates so its all good!

groan

i suppose you could also use an auto top off system...
I dont use a sump, dave, and i would not want to drip it into my fuge as the water level dosnt change there.

I could put a bucket behind the wall behind the tank and put a hole jsut big enought for the tubing...hmm.
in the meantime, can i just mix up a 5 gallon jug and use it as needed (pour in enough to top off...1-2 gallons at a time) to top off or does it really need to be added a drip at a time?

kennyman

If you keep stony corals and don't do constant large water changes you simply Must have Ca and Alk test kits  :D

I'm curious to see what the Ca of the saltmix in question actually is.

xenon

Quote from: groan on February 17, 2008, 12:24:07 PM
i suppose you could also use an auto top off system...
I dont use a sump, dave, and i would not want to drip it into my fuge as the water level dosnt change there.

I could put a bucket behind the wall behind the tank and put a hole jsut big enought for the tubing...hmm.
in the meantime, can i just mix up a 5 gallon jug and use it as needed (pour in enough to top off...1-2 gallons at a time) to top off or does it really need to be added a drip at a time?

Your PH would spike if you dumped a few gallons of saturated limewater into your tank.

The best method is to drip. I use the Kent Marine aquadose kit.

Dave88

Xenon is right, kalk has a very high ph and if you pour in 1-2 gallons at once it will raise the ph in your tank to much, even if you do it at night when the lights are off when your ph is a little lower because of no photosynthesis occuring.  You have to drip.

groan

i'll look up that aquadose kit...i suppose it has an auto-drip method? checks the level of the water?

OK, i'll refrain from pouring in at once and do a proper drop...now i havfe to figure out where to put the bottle.

xenon

Quote from: groan on February 17, 2008, 03:28:30 PM
i'll look up that aquadose kit...i suppose it has an auto-drip method? checks the level of the water?

OK, i'll refrain from pouring in at once and do a proper drop...now i havfe to figure out where to put the bottle.

You adjust the drip rate on the aqua dose kit by adjusting the roll type flow valve. You could accomplish the same thing by drilling a hole in a 5g bucket and use some 1/4" or 1/8" tubing with appropriate sized valve.

kennyman

Quote from: groan on February 17, 2008, 03:28:30 PM

So is that salt brand truly low in Ca? How many ppm are you actually at before hand?

artw

I found something online about kalk so I do it this way:
I put 1/2 teaspoon in about 1 tablespoon of vinegar, mix it up, and then add 1 litre of distilled water.  then I mix this up and pour it in the tank.

xenon

Quote from: artw on February 17, 2008, 06:49:39 PM
I found something online about kalk so I do it this way:
I put 1/2 teaspoon in about 1 tablespoon of vinegar, mix it up, and then add 1 litre of distilled water.  then I mix this up and pour it in the tank.

How often do you do that? lol

artw

groan

thanks for the link! I think pat made refrence to using vinegar, or one of my readings...

groan

reading up on top off kits...
http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html
i love this set up using 2 containers and it sits on the floor and uses an aqualifter pump instead of needing to be suspended above the tank. I like this setup and will work towards building that...
Aquakit has all the parts
http://aquakit.ca/product_info.php?cPath=24_30&products_id=53

Or if anyone has one already that they want to offload, please let me know!

groan

doing my first dose of this. using art's method but instead of pouring it in, i'm dripping.
i dont have a Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium test kit so i wont know what changes it gives...

redbelly

Dont expect to see much change in your magnesium.

groan

was it magnesium you said coralife salt was lacking?