Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

single fish only tank - what would I need

Started by KLKelly, February 20, 2008, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I'm thinking of setting up a fish only tank.  My turn for my own salt water tank.  I don't want corals of any kind - just a lone currently beaten up occelaris clown  ;D

What would I need for a basic set up.  I have a ten gallon and a 20 gallon but I would prefer to keep costs as low as possible.

Lighting isn't a huge factor.
Can it be bare bottom or minimal sand.  I don't want to be fighting cyano and have to worry about flow as much as we do in my husbands nano.
How much live rock would be needed?
Would it need a fuge? If so what size Aquaclear would I need?
And do I have to worry about lots of flow like in the nano reef? Would one powerhead be sufficient?

sniggir

lighting would be min... I would go for the 20 gal or bigger if you can..and LR is generaly 1/2 lbs - 1 lbs per gal... I would still run a skimmer but yoiu can get away with a seaclone or another cheap skimmer.... i would definatly go with a sand bed.. possibly a deep sand bed.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

kennyman

Also most literature suggests running low salinity of around 1.015 to 1.018 for fish only as that reduces incidence of disease and makes it a bit easier for the fish to regulate internal salinity. SW fish are constantly trying to get rid of salt from their systems and have to pee 24/7 to do it while the Osmotic gradient is constantly trying to increase a SW fish's internal salinity to match the water. The exact opposite happens in FW fish which fights to keep internal salinity higher than the surrounding water.

Faerin

For a fish only tank, you really don't need anything other than what you would use for a standard freshwater tank (aside from some salt and a refractometer/hydrometer of course). A single false perc would be fine in anything over 10 gallons, you only need enough light to be able to see into the tank, some kind of filtration (live rock is great, but a mechanical filter would be fine for a small fish only setup), and some rocks or objects in the tank for the fish to hide behind. A skimmer is always beneficial, but by no means needed if you won't be having coral/inverts.