Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brown Algae? liverock...hmm salt is fun

Started by char0434, February 20, 2008, 04:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

char0434

Hey Guys!
I just started up my first salt tank, I have a 55 gal and about 25-30 lbs of liverock so far. Its been in the tank for a little while now so has had time to spread a bit. I just got 10 blue legs and a clown yesterday, i have had mylight on for approx, 8 hours a day for about 4-5 days now.

Question- I have brown algae growing on my liverock, it doesnt seeem to be anywhere else, good or bad?? Should i just wait to see if the blue legs clean it up, or is brown eatin by snails?? Could it just be the type of liverock? because itsnot on the other rocks??

Any other info on liverock and what to expect would be great to :)

Thanks,
Adam

Cheebs

How long has your tank been running?  Algae blooms are pretty common for new tanks like yours, and are usually normal, so as long as your water parameters are looking decent and you have enough flow, it should pass eventually.  Can you post some info about your tank?

Cheers.

char0434

what kind of info? chemically its perfect, temp maybe a little high its been sitting around 81.

sniggir

I think what he means is what are yor readings... Phosphate, nitrate, and what type of test kits are you using?.. Ph, alk.. if you are not using the titrate tests then your tests are probly a little off
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

redbelly

Are you refering to a brown film algae or a brown macro algae growing out of your rocks?

Can you post a pic?

char0434

I do not think its any thing to worry about its just an algae bloom, um angelfreak helped me out with it today...

i need to get snails...

any type specific guys?

any other crab or shrimp deal with this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

char0434

hey redbelly!
scott told me i should come see u some time, hear u have quite a setup.
Any torch coral left?

Adam

char0434

Any one know how long membership takes i payed almost a month ago and i have recieved nothing???

Vallely4

Quote from: char0434 on February 22, 2008, 12:37:31 AM
Any one know how long membership takes ???

About a month :) hehe,
In my experience anyway... -the execs around here are busy!   .... :-X

redbelly

Quote from: char0434 on February 22, 2008, 12:33:32 AM
hey redbelly!
scott told me i should come see u some time, hear u have quite a setup.
Any torch coral left?

Adam
Thanks Adam, you are more than welcome to stop by friday or this weekend if you would like. Astrea will clean up that brown algae of your very quickly!

And than you Scott!

charlie

Quote from: char0434 on February 22, 2008, 12:37:31 AM
Any one know how long membership takes i payed almost a month ago and i have recieved nothing???
You need to PM me the info of the payment of your purchase, full name , date of purchase , how & where, if it`s being a month there is a problem, as i have no pending membership