Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Six Line Wrasse.

Started by fishboy, February 22, 2008, 04:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishboy

What are peoples thoughs/experience on this wrasse. Are they a good tankmate, or become aggressive over time?

Thanks

shutterbuggy

While I have limited experience with them (I have only had mine for about a month) it has been added to my tank with NO aggression shown by it or the other fish (2 clowns, Regal tang, yellow tang, damsel <who bullies everyone including me!>, mandarin, and a sailfin tang)  I purchased it for a purpose though.  I need it to rid my tank of pyramellid snails.

Heidi

6-line wrasses are supposed to be reef friendly and a pretty passive fish. I had one before (had I say - until he became a snack for someone) and when he was in my tank - he was laid back, easy going and not being a pest. They are good for cleaning your fish but as much as people want to believe - they do not eat ick.  When I have my bigger reef up and going, I will probably get another one as they are really neat to look at as well.
120 gal - Salt water Fish Only
25 gal - Salt Water Reef
Rotti named Nimh
Cat named Yoda
Numerous Bearded Dragons
Numerous BP's and other snakes
Numerous other geckos and lizards

claude

I've had my six line wrasse for a while now.   he was agressive towards my clown until I got the anemone.  now he tries to pick on my purple fire fish but he's too quick for the wrasse.  from my experience he is pretty aggressive but so far there hasn't been any serious damage

fishboy

Well i do have a clown and a fire fish  :D

Vallely4

Quote from: claude on February 23, 2008, 09:59:44 PM
I've had my six line wrasse for a while now.   he was agressive towards my clown until I got the anemone.  now he tries to pick on my purple fire fish but he's too quick for the wrasse.  from my experience he is pretty aggressive but so far there hasn't been any serious damage

Claude just curious, was the six-line the first fish in your tank before clown and the firefish?
...just wondering about different fish dominance being first introduced, like my tiny blenny who's taken rule of my tank, hehe...

My experience with a Six-line wrasse was a sadly case of lip-fungi... :-\
Lots of people don't know until they own them/witness themselves, that all wrasse sleep incased in a cocoon of mucous, Fun fact :) 

rockgarden

Six-lines are nice fish until they take a disliking to another fish in THEIR tank and then they can be pretty annoying.  About two years ago, I added a couple of yellow wrasses about a year after the six-line.  All I can remember is that the six-line tormented the objects of its attention all day even if they tried hiding in the rock work.   The yellows eventually headed to the sand to escape and the six-line didn't rest until one jumped out and one succumbed in the tank. There were a few periods of peace in between but not many and neither yellow wrasses nor six-line wrasses are easy to catch in an established tank.  I tried!

Ron