Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Update : My 55g Reef tank picture

Started by jeeper014, February 25, 2008, 02:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeeper014

Here's an Updated picture of my tank !!

[attachment deleted by admin]

groan

how long has it been set up?

i've been reading up on the blue tang because i wanteed one but im thinking now to not.
succeptible to ich and something else9slips my mind) as well it likes a large tank (i know you are upgrading next year but i may not) so i thinik i'll wait until my skillzzz are more tuned.

great loking tank, lots of peeps in there.

xenon

Nice tank!

I have a 3" hippo and 3.5" yellow tang.

I am downgrading to a 40g breeder next week and I am not quite sure if I should keep them or sell them. It's only for 6months before I upgrade to a 210g but I am thinking that might be too long.

jeeper014

Blue regal tang ( Hippoe )

As far as i know this fish cannot have been more stressed out than anything else in my tank ..

It wen from a 10 to a 29 to a 55g in less than 2 months overall .. + Moving him from his original owner's tank ..

He's doing awesome and i think that everything involved in Yellow and blue tang are way over what they really are !! They are supposely sensative to water parameter change on some website then on other they talk about lighting issue .. both of these are not an issue for me and let's say im not going by the book for my reef tank and everything is flawless ..

One thing i do recommend for tang are cleaner shrimp since they will provide a Cleaning station for them to remove any parasite ... !!

I think you don't have to be a Master Reef Fish keeper to get a Blue tang as well they are on special at AZ Store and healthy as well .. as of yesterday !!

Hope this help

My 55g been running for 6-7 months approx

jeeper014

Xenon

Keep them until the upgrade !!

I know someone that keep 9 of them .. 5 inch+

In a 40g long .. So Breeder tank as well

No issue .. just make sure of water parameter !!

;)

Hope this will change your mind !!

xenon

Quote from: jeeper014 on February 25, 2008, 06:42:50 PM
Xenon

Keep them until the upgrade !!

I know someone that keep 9 of them .. 5 inch+

In a 40g long .. So Breeder tank as well

No issue .. just make sure of water parameter !!

;)

Hope this will change your mind !!

I was going to add them in and see how they behave before I made my decision. Keeping my water quality high is a very simple task.

groan

darn you and your reasoning!
OK, I may reconsider. I just dont want fishy to be hurting...

I considered looking into getting a cleaner shrimp. i bought 3 shrimp the other day to look after some aptaisia, and i only see on, and he never comes out of a hole he's put himself into.
great. im considering poking him out of there with a stick, just so i can see him.

Cheebs

Very nice tank jeeper, I like the aquascaping, and I'm a big xenia fan too.

xenon

Quote from: groan on February 25, 2008, 09:22:23 PM
darn you and your reasoning!
OK, I may reconsider. I just dont want fishy to be hurting...

I considered looking into getting a cleaner shrimp. i bought 3 shrimp the other day to look after some aptaisia, and i only see on, and he never comes out of a hole he's put himself into.
great. im considering poking him out of there with a stick, just so i can see him.

What type of shrimps did you get?

Peppermint shrimps are the ones that eat aptaisa.

xenon

I totally agree that most tangs need minimum if 6' but how many of us have tangs that are full grown in our 4' tanks? Having smaller tangs in a 4' is no different than full grown tangs in 8'. It's all relative I guess.

I have seen a 12" clown tang in a 5' tank and I felt so sorry for it. A slight flick of his tail and he was already at the other side of the tank. Total powerhouse swimmer!

I think you will know when you tangs outgrow your tank. The signs are quite obvious.

groan

i got peppermint shrimp.
you still have a great tank..
as for the whole tang/tank size thing, maybe we should move it to another thread...this is talking about his tank.

If i were to ask any question, it would be how long does it take for a 1 inch tang to reach 3 inches? Averagely (is that a word?)...

Severum

Heres a thread about that issue that got a lot of people mad on reefcentral.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1326869&highlight=myth+tang

Hope no one gets the wrong idea about tangs in smaller tanks.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

groan

Sniggir bumped a thread that we should continue to use for this topic.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=23930.0

What i get from your tank shot above is that I love the full of rock look...do you find an issue with algae on the back glass?

jeeper014

No algae problem , i got 1x900 MJ and 3x1200 mj ( Maxi-jet)

No brown,red,green hair or any other algae problem !!

rock is about 3-4" from back glass

groan

i need to move my rock out. did you secure it with anything or just good balance?