Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Considering changing to saltwater

Started by Ormarr, February 26, 2008, 04:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ormarr

Are Current USA Fission Power Skimmers reliable (such as http://www.petsandponds.com/securestore/c194471p17056984.2.htm)?

Would a 10g sump be sufficient for a 75g reef tank?
Is a sump drilled normally or can the tubing simply go from one end to the other?

How difficult is it to setup a sump?  Any good how-to articles around?

Thanks.

sniggir

10 gal sump is not suffucient, I would go min 35, they are not that complicated to set up and only need to be drilled if you are running a inline pump...if you need help I am sure there are lots of people willing to jump in
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

xenon

The perfect size tank for a sump on a 75g is a 40g breeder (36x18x16)

This is what mine looked like.

rockgarden

My new 75 gal is now up and running. 

If you will happen to be in the Kanata area, contact me by PM and I will be happy to discuss the pros and cons of everything that you will need or don't need and what you should consider.

I don't disagree with what anyone else here says is needed but some might disagree with what I tell you in private :-).

I have been able to find opposing opinions on almost every aspect of the SW hobby so enter SW with your eyes open 8) and use only one ear.

Ron

Ormarr

What size pump (gph) should I get for a 75g reef tank with a 40g sump to get sufficient flow?

Also, what is considered adequate water movement in terms of gph?

Thanks!

xenon

Quote from: Ormarr on February 29, 2008, 10:04:37 AM
What size pump (gph) should I get for a 75g reef tank with a 40g sump to get sufficient flow?

Also, what is considered adequate water movement in terms of gph?

Thanks!

My 90g had the same footprint as a 75g and I used a 40g breeder for my sump. I used a mag9.5 (950gph) but I throttled it back because it was too much flow. You want 10x turnover thru your sump and the flow in your display will totally depend on the corals you plan to keep. SPS corals for example need around 50x turnover.