Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best epoxy for reef tanks?

Started by pitabread, March 02, 2008, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitabread

I've been hunting around trying to find a good epoxy for use in reef tanks.  Specifically I want to rescape my tank and help bond the rockwork together.  I've used Aquastik from Marinescape in the past, but it makes my skimmer go absolutely nuts for weeks, even with multiple water changes (and since I have a HOB variety w/ no sump, this is doubly a PITA). 

I've been trying to find Aquamend in Ottawa, but no luck so far.  Moutain Equipment Co-op apparently carries the stuff but is out of stock for now.  Home Depot, RONA and Canadian Tire don't have it (naturally).

So does anyone have any recommendations?

pitabread

I ended up getting Holdfast from Big Al's.  Some brief research suggested it won't cause skimmer issues, so I will see how it goes.

speckledmind

Dollorama Crazy Glue  ;)

Cheap and works better than all the other ( more expensive ) stuff I used in the past.

groupie02

but crazy glue doesn't work too well for stabilizing rock work like the OP wants to do  ;)

redbelly

Crazy glue works well for frags but not for peices or rock.

For aquascaping I prefer using D-D epoxy. If doesnt make your skimmer go crazy like aquastick. Unlike holdfast it does stick to the rock. The only down side is that it does take a while to dry so if you are placing a rock/coral in a very strange or precarious arrangement then you will need to suport it until the epoxy dries.

speckledmind

Quote from: redbelly on March 03, 2008, 10:33:39 AM
The only down side is that it does take a while to dry

How much time are we talking about when using D-D epoxy on Rock work ?

redbelly

To completely dry, overnight.
When I attached my 5" echno plate onto a 1" ledge in my tank I let it sit for 24 hours before i removed the support just to be safe.

speckledmind

Quote from: redbelly on March 03, 2008, 09:25:07 PM
To completely dry, overnight.
WoW  :o
That's fast enough for me  :)

I was kind of worried there for a minute when you wrote " The only down side is that it does take a while to dry ", thinking that it may take a week or more to cure lol

Additional Question : do you Carry this D-D epoxy product in your store ?
If so, shoot me a PM on the size of tube / container it comes in, price and availability please.

I'm fed up with the rock falls and casualties   >:(

pitabread

Tried the Holdfast.  It didn't stick to well and it made my skimmer go nuts (though not as bad as the Aquastik).

kennyman

whats this "Amazing Mighty Putty" stuff? Order now and we'll send you 3 three tubes, Not good enough? Well how about 6 free tubes! lol That stuff looks like the same epoxy I have been using with the green outside part.

groupie02

I got some D-D from Pat (redbelly) a while back. I find that it works really well and did not cause my skimmer to panic. :D 
I used it to stick frag rocks to my rock work. I also used it to get a couple of bigger rock pieces to stay in place.

Zoe

Quote from: kennyman on March 10, 2008, 06:51:58 PM
whats this "Amazing Mighty Putty" stuff? Order now and we'll send you 3 three tubes, Not good enough? Well how about 6 free tubes! lol That stuff looks like the same epoxy I have been using with the green outside part.

OMG did you see that commercial too??? I totally want that stuff  ;D

xiaan

I have been using D-D for my aquascaping I even used it to attach a frag to some live rock. It is good stuff but It takes a few hours to dry.

redbelly

D-D works very well. Thats what I used to build my reef.