Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Koralia 2 vs. Tunze 6025

Started by Funkmotor, March 03, 2008, 10:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funkmotor

By request...  Well, here we go.

Specs from the boxes:
Koralia 2: 600gph @ 9W
Tunze 6025: 660gph @ 6W  (box says 2,500lph, converts to 660gph)

Height comparison 1:

Height comparison 2:
This is with the small cone that comes with the Hydor attached.  With this on there, the flow pattern is more like the Tunze.  Without it, the outflow is very widely spread.  So widely spread, if it's over anything it will move it quite a bit...it doesn't project flow across the tank.
So, really, you need to have that on there.

Maximum tilt:
Here you can see the limit of the Hydor mount, and the fact that the Tunze mount - which is really a "C" shaped clip that holds the ball-shaped powerhead - has no limit.

You can also see that the magnet on the Tunze, while apparently thicker, is smaller in diameter.  That said, I would say it is stronger by far than the magnet on the Koralia.  The Koralia's magnet has the suction-cup things on it, but I don't know that I like them.

The Tunze is rated slightly higher than the Hydor, but I can safely say that the Tunze moves a lot more water, and I believe it moves it in a more predictable manner.

xenon

The Tunze 6025 is so much better that the Hydor Koralia 2 but it's also twice the price.  :o

I have two 6025's on my 40g breeder and one is modded. The modded one is almost 2x more powerful.

It takes only 5min with a dremel so the mod is 100% free and you can expect over 1100gph.

Funkmotor

Quote from: xenon on March 03, 2008, 11:16:10 PM
The Tunze 6025 is so much better that the Hydor Koralia 2 but it's also twice the price.  :o

In this, as in many things, you definitely get what you pay for.

yellowtang

That is a one good comparison.
As a user of Coralia Pumps 2 #3 and 1 #2
I can tell you I'am quite please with the flow (Compared to my old Maxi 1200s)
not to mention price which places a big part on choosing them.
However,Coralias Have been in the market for less time than Tunze and
quality and aspects of such pumps are starting to resurface.
Tunze is a good product,but in my Opinion very "overrated".....to such point
which drive their prices up.......
In conclusion I think both pumps are good and when choosing A or b
I think it comes down to the needs of our systems and most of all
our pockets. ;)
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

kennyman

Nice info  :)

Too bad the little Tunsi's don't work with the Tunzi wave timer device though.

sniggir

I would have to say hands down the tunze is the better pump... but again... for the price I am gonna say that the hydor is a grate pump... as it is mor in the price range of the MJ's... so it all depends on what you want.. for my new system I may break the bank and get 2 of the smaller stream pumps... but shall see
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

xenon

Quote from: kennyman on March 04, 2008, 07:24:38 AM
Nice info  :)

Too bad the little Tunsi's don't work with the Tunzi wave timer device though.

The  Tunze 6055's work with the coltroller but man they are pricey!   :o

redbelly

Nice comparison.

Do you think you could take each pump and move them close to the water surface and take a pic of the waves created to show the flow pattern produced by each pump?

groan

i'm not using the nose tube onmy koralia. does it really make a difference? I like diffused flow though, makes everything in the tank move a bit without blowing stuff away.

SuperT

I'm not using mine either (I like the diffused pattern better, so do the corals that I've selected).  the main reason i went with the hydor (besides price) was the low power usage (I think 8w on the koralia #4).  I'm wondering what the tunze uses (going to look it up now unless someone has it handy).

Terry

edit 7w on the tunze (nice)

Funkmotor

Quote from: redbelly on March 04, 2008, 10:52:23 AM
Do you think you could take each pump and move them close to the water surface and take a pic of the waves created to show the flow pattern produced by each pump?

Oh, to have a spare 20 long...

pitabread

I wonder about the longevity of these two pumps.  I had to send in a pair of Nanostream 6045's for repair recently that I'd have for a little over a year.  One had completely seized and wouldn't work (and yes, I was doing periodic vinegar soaks).  And the other's impeller shaft eventually snapped.  I hope the replacement units last a good while longer.  At least Tunze has a 2 year warranty.

Recently got a Koralia 2 and am hoping it doesn't run into the issues the Nanostream's had.