Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Briareus Pic's

Started by redbelly, March 04, 2008, 11:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbelly

I thought I would sharesome pics that I shot the other day of the Octo. Briareus crawling around.

I had added a tomoato clown to his tank but the clown actually stressed the octo out to much and he wouldnt come out to eat. Now with the clown gone and the addition of a bit more rock it seems to be a bit more comfortable and the other day it came crawling to the front of the tank to investigate what exactly I was doing with a dremel near by to his tank :)

Right now it has a peppermint shrimp for a tank mate and some live clams that I picked up in china town. It doesnt seem to interested in the shrimp but I am hoping that the clams will make a nice meal.

[attachment deleted by admin]

groupie02

wow! that is really cool!
I'll have to come see it in person. I hope it does come to like the clams. Does it eat anything else you provide it?

sniggir

too cool... he is realy neet in person... for sure
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

greddy

Hey there Pat, he is looking great ! Just thought you might want to know, Octo's really like crabs also.  I would feed my pygmy Octo fiddler crabs and red claws also...probably a little cheaper than feeding him emeralds.  Just make sure that if you go to petsmart/superpet ? to get some crabs, dont tell the salesperson that they are going to be feeders..Strangely they have tried not to sell me some when I mentioned the were for my Octopus. (kinda ironic comming from a place that kills soo many fish?)

Also a really cool link to chekc out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFOEZh1Lbbg

An aquarium was loosing some sharks and wasnt too sure why...he he  crazy octo's

kennyman

Wow that is so cool!  Did they give you an idea of what to expect for a lifespan? Its a shame so many cool inverts like Octos and cuttlefish have such rapid lifecycles.

redbelly

Thanks!

So far I have fed him a peppermint shrimp, a few GIANT emerald crabs and clams from china town. He hasnt gotten the clams open yet but Trina snapped a couple short of him giving it a good attempt.

Greddy I have ready that they really like the fiddler crabs. How much do they cost?
Trina and I spent hours on you tube looking at octo vids :)

Octo's do tend to have a short lifespan unfortunately. When you get an adult you never know how old they are either. But if you are lucky you could end up with a female and if she lays eggs then you may have several baby octo's that you can raise. Also the higher your tank temp is the shorter they will survive in captivity as it speeds up their metabilism.

washefuzzy

The octo is a beautiful looking creature. I've heard they are as smart as dogs.

Cheebs

Very nice redbelly.  What's the average captive lifespan anyways?  I've heard 1-2years.

Severum

That is very cool. I will have to stop by to check it out at some point... and pick up some other goodies as well!

Keep the pics coming. Maybe of him chowing down.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

redbelly

Thats about right cheebs.

Here is the pic that trina took of him grabbing the clams. He hasnt gotten one open yet though.

[attachment deleted by admin]

chujai

have you tried putting more colourful rocks in there to see if he changes colours as  he moves around? that would be cool to see
ChuJai

White Lightning

Wow!!! What size of tank do you keep him in?

redbelly

I had been thinking about putting different coloured backgrounds on each side to see if he would blend in different on each side :)

Currently the octo is in about a 20g acrylic tank with a lid and a 5g pale of magnesium on the lid.

Tonight Simon and I discovered that he REALLY likes emerald crabs. As he is settling in he is becoming much more social and came out to investigate what we were doing downstairs. As I feed him something different each night around this time I would assume that he was coming out to see if it was dinner time, and he was right! We dropped in an emerald crabs and he came darting out and engulfed the crabs right away.