Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Blenny Identification and rehome

Started by KLKelly, March 04, 2008, 05:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

This adorable little creature is looking for a new home.  If I had a big enough tank for him I would never give him up.  He previous owner had a home for him but hadn't picked him up prior to my picking up the ten gallon he was selling. So I kidnapped him.  I told his owner I would find it a good home.  He can stay in the ten gallon for a bit - I'll do extra water changes to keep the water happy. I just know he would like to eat a ton and that isn't possible in a ten gallon :(

Here is a picture of him:

And a short video showing his body for a split second:

From what I can see he looks like a sailfin/lawnmower blenny but the previous owner didn't think it was a lawnmower when I emailed him last night. He ate pellets/mysis shrimp etc in his set up.  I guess he digs and disturbs the sand which could hurt corals on the sand bed. 

He seems to change colours.  He was  light cream with a long brown stripe when I picked up the tank and when he was put pack in the ten gallon. Turned a dark brown for a bit after.  He's a dark colour now looking at him but when he was out feeding this afternoon he was light.

He inhales seaweed! And he's hilarious to watch.  When you sit in front of the tank he comes out to investigate.

I'd love him to go to a good home and mature tank - once he is ID'd of course.

I wish I had a bigger tank  :-\

What do you guys think he is?

darkphreak

Its a lawnmower blenny, great little fish! I'd be interested in buying him. Let me know.

jeeper014

Sailfin Algea Blenny , I can take him in the 55g reef tank !!

Can take him also !!

let me know

Dave88

Hi, not sure if its a lawnmower blenny you have there but I bought this blenny thinking it was a lawnmower but it turned out to be something else.

I noticed it started to bite my clams so I did some checking. I returned him and got a real lawnmower like this guy.

Notice how wide the lawnmower's mouth is compared to the other one.  Hopes this helps you identify this little guy.

yellowtang

that is certainly a lawnmower blennie......
or other common name is "Antenna Goby".....
I got one in my 72g he eats algae from my rocks..
cheers
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

KLKelly

Cool guys - thank you.  I thought I was losing my mind.  He said he has a lawnmower blenny and this guy has a different face/mouth.  I wonder what kind of a blenny he really has.  I spent like 2.5 hours reading up on blenny's and couldn't find anything that was as close as the lawnmower or sailfin.

Thanks everyone.  I can't wait until we have a tank where we can have one.  I think we'll ditch the plan for a 30 gallon and go bigger :)  I'm hooked on him - I love how interactive he is.

Karrie

KLKelly

New home for Lenny the Blenny is pending.  Thanks to everyone who offered to take him.

buzzard

I agree with dave88, It is NOT a lawnmower, I bought this blennie off of marinescape and they didn't even know what it was. It was shipped to them as a lawnmower blennie and Keith told me it was DEFINITLEY NOT, He said it was some sort of algae blennie?????? The mouth is totaly different and it eats EVERYTHING you throw in the tank.
It never nipped at any clams or corals in MY tank.(just my fingers)
This fish has an AWESOME personality and likes to people watch.lol
Who ever ends up adopting this fish will definately have something different.

gvv

Quote from: buzzard on March 05, 2008, 06:05:43 AM
I agree with dave88, It is NOT a lawnmower, ...
Also agree.
I got mine from BA Kanata and should say it has nothing in common with lawnmower. It has no interest in algae, but loves flakes and frozen food. But his appearance... I love him! He has great personality.
I looked through the internet, spend several days and could not find any blenny that looks like it...

Regards

Tyler.L

this is something i am just going to throw out there. considering now this is the second fish that you've had to get out of your tank, maybe you should start researching before stalking stuff into your tank. Thats just something that i thought should be said. Start researching,  stock before taking stuff on! thats all i have to say really

Vizerdrix

Quote from: Tyler.L on March 05, 2008, 06:40:15 PM
this is something i am just going to throw out there. considering now this is the second fish that you've had to get out of your tank, maybe you should start researching before stalking stuff into your tank. Thats just something that i thought should be said. Start researching,  stock before taking stuff on! thats all i have to say really

You haven't been reading her posts properly Tyler.  The first case with the Clown was just two fish not getting along, and one getting beat up on.  This situation here, she bought a 10g nano and this fish was left because the person that said they wanted it never showed up and Karrie generously offered to take it and find it a home.

Karrie is a very conscientious aquarist, and she usually does research species.  These were exceptional circumstances, and I think you owe her an apology.

buzzard

TylerL, She bought a complete saltwater setup from me for her other fish that she did NOT get rid of (it now has a new home)
She was KIND ENOUGH to take the Blennie (that was in that tank) and she told me that she would TRY to find a good home for it.
She is doing ME A FAVOUR so if you have no idea about what you are talking about, I believe you should keep your comments to YOURSELF, thank you

KLKelly

Thanks guys.  Its all cool.

Tyler I would seriously love to keep this little guy but I know that isn't right.  I admit I didn't mind taking him with the tank and finding him a home.  It meant I could watch him for a few days.  I didn't think saltwater fish could have personality like this.  I know based on the number of offers I received to rehome my clown that the same would apply for this little one.

My clownfish was my mistake and I feel bad about it. The whole point behind buying this ten gallon.  Rather than give him back to Redbelly or others who offered homes (all with exisiting clowns) where he/she could might continue to be beat up I bought him a tank.  I hadn't realized the two of them although introduced together from a school of clowns should have been different sizes to facilitate the pairing process.  He she is an expensive clownfish : )

I am glad that if it was the case that I failed to do the research someone would make the point you did.

Karrie

kennyman

I'd love to be able to give this guy a home but I am at my max. I also already have a blenny and they are fish that do not often take kindly to fish similar to themselves  :-\

Blennies have incredible behaviour and a very clear intelligence to them :D

Tyler.L

please tell me somewhere, where it says he came with the tank? am i a mind reader? no really.....am i? before you keep yapping away BUZZARD and going CAPS on me maybe you should back up and re-read her first post and tell me where it says that she had got this 10 gallon and they had him in this tank. I'll apologize yes but...........not my fault considering the first post was quite vague. as for the clown situation, i understand but still should have been researched on the larger/smaller situation. even on top of that, clowns will fight until, one has determined they're the boss..but i guess BUZZARD YOU ARE THE GREATEST AND I'LL BE QUIET.

Therefore, KLKelly i am sorry for jumping to conculsions.

i'll put money this gets deleted!

KLKelly

I appreciated Christine and Buzzard posting.  Thanks for the apology. 

I know Tyler had the best interest of the fish in mind and to prevent someone from willy nilly picking up unsuitable fish.  I've seen it on the freshwater section and it gets to me too.  Maybe if Tyler thought this, others may have also.  There isn't any need to create a drama out of this now, the sw community is too small : )  Everythings clarified. 

He has found a very good home and will be picked up on Friday.  I expect he will thrive in his new environment and be a fat a**ed blenny in no time. I appreciate everyone's offers to provide him with a home in your tanks as I am sure buzzard does as well.   

I really wish I had better water and money grew on trees : (