Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Preferred method of stacking/piling Live Rock

Started by Ormarr, March 10, 2008, 10:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ormarr

What is the best way (and product to use) for stacking LR and making sure it is stable?  Some sort of epoxy I'm guessing? and where can it purchased?

Thanks,

groupie02

Epoxy will work just fine but may turn up to be expensive if you have LOTS of stacking to do. You may want to consider drilling your rock and use zip ties to secure things down.

Ormarr

How difficult is it to drill LR?  Risk of shattering them?  Any special drill bit required?

groupie02

If you want to try drilling, you should use a masonry bit. I've only used the epoxy method so I can't tell you how hard it really is but I've been told that it's pretty easy.

pitabread

The best way is to drill the rock and use plastic dowel rods.  Epoxy is okay, but the epoxies I have tried (Aquastik and Holdfast) don't really stick to the rock.  You really have to squish it in the cracks to get a good hold.

groupie02

pitabread is correct. I forgot about the use of rods.

Faerin

Keep the future in mind when attaching rocks ... The more secure you make it now, the harder it will be to move/upgrade things in the future.
Personally, I didn't bother. The rock in my tank is all just set in place and I've had no problems (it's all very solid). I do have a fair bit of rock however, and it is mostly larger pieces.

If you do decide to secure the rock work, As pitabread stated doweling the rock is the best way to go about it. The rock will be more secure, and it will be easier to take apart again down the road should you chose too. Epoxy will work on smaller pieces, but larger ones will be difficult to manage.

buzzard

I personally have never used anything to secure the rocks in any of my tanks.
I may be LUCKY but I have also NEVER had an avalanch.
If you are carefull when stacking the rock, it should not come tumbling down unless you do decide to get an animal that can push it over.
MAKE SURE that your bottom layer of rock is placed ON or VERY close to the bottom glass so any burrowing animals (and there are lots of them) don't dig out the FOUNDATION and you should be OK.

Ormarr

Do "salties" ever use egg crate in their tanks?

buzzard

If you are talking the grates over celing lights, YES some people do use it.
Personaly, I don't, I like to do things as Naturaly as possable, No glue, No plastics, No chemicals (to an extent)lol...

kennyman

Quote from: Ormarr on March 10, 2008, 04:01:25 PM

If you look up the Jaubert plenum system you will see the pros and cons of eggcrate. I might have spelled the guys name wrong but it should still google  :D

pitabread

Quote from: Ormarr on March 10, 2008, 04:01:25 PM

Of course.  Typically larger reef setups will use eggcrate and PVC to create a frame for the reef.  This way less live rock is needed, saves money and creates more swimming space for the fish.  A great example is this 1700 gallon reef.  If you scroll down you can see a "behind the scenes" look.