Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I Think I Have Aptasia! Confirm Pleeeeeaasseee!

Started by warr0088, March 10, 2008, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

char0434

The only thing that it should do if anything is change the PH a very small amount. Most will dissipate In the water.

AdamN

I hope, cause I remember one day when I pumped quite a bit in there haha  :D

char0434

yeah i only did about 5mg so like nothing compaired to my 55gal

what size of tank did u pump it into?

AdamN

75g, I pumped about 5ml as well. Sounds like that isnt much, but I thought it was.

char0434

yeah i dont think 5ml should do anything.. nothing that a normal water change wont fix at least. yeah i pumped that much into one of them lol

warr0088

yah I've been pretty heavy on the stuff too ... one of my hermits got in the way today and sure didnt like it, lol, scrambled away but still alive though, I should probably do a waterchange after all of that!

Out of curiosity, when you do waterchanges, do you you pre-mix in advance (a day or so) and heat the water beforehand?  Up to this point I've only mixed the salt by hand for a minute or so and dumped in the cooler water with no problems, but i've heard that your not supposed to do this?

char0434

honest thats what i do.... dont know any better then u on tha matter

warr0088

haha, okay, anyone else willing to share their experiences?  What about with freshwater top-off?  Just dump it in front of one of the powerheads to spread it around quickly?

AdamN

I premix a few days ahead and heat the water, but thats only because I change 40 gallons at a time. In my smaller tanks before I had this water always on hand, i just mixed and dumped the way you guys do.

groupie02

You should either have an air stone or a power head mixing the water to ensure proper oxygenation of the water.

AdamN

I have a MJ1200 constantly running in my mix container. It also helps to mix the salt in as well as oxygenate the water.

warr0088

hmmm, even when changing such small amounts of water?  does it really matter?  how long do I have to do this for?

groupie02

I don't remember the size of your tank but you don't have to change "a small amount". In a small tank (less than 30g), you could go up to 100% water changes. Most folks do less than that but you get the idea.

The idea behind the water change is to rid your tank of all the nasty stuff that's in the water. The more you replace, the better. Of course, that's if your new water is of top quality.

char0434

what about 55 gal? how much would u do... i do a weekly change of approx 10%... is that enough?

BigDaddy

Depends on if you have a skimmer or not and what your bioload is.

There is no "right" answer

groupie02

10% weekly is good enough if everything is going well. If you're trying to get rid of nasties in your tank, then you want to up that a little bit. You can do 10% twice a week or 20% once a week. Don't be afraid to change more water.

As BigDaddy says, no "right" answer... but lots of opinions ;-)

char0434

Thanks guys! and sorry warr for using your topic hehe

warr0088

No don't even worry about it, I like all the general info Char!  Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll start with 10% weekly waterchanges and see how that goes.  I'll just mix it myself and add accordingly - if I decide to do bigger changes down the road I may think about pre-mixing!