Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I Think I Have Aptasia! Confirm Pleeeeeaasseee!

Started by warr0088, March 10, 2008, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warr0088

I thought this was just an interesting hitch-hiker until I stumbled across this "aptasia" pest on one of the forums ... I think I may have it, what do you think?

[attachment deleted by admin]

warr0088

This is a brand new tank and I have nothing in it but LR at the moment ... I'm pretty sure this is Aptasia, and I need to know how to get rid of it FFAASSTTT!  Any proven methods?

Thanks all!

char0434

Yeah im pretty sure it is! looks like what i got :(

groan

go steal a syringe from a junkie and fill it with vinigar and inject it. I hear this works. The pharmacy may have syringes as well.

char0434

i shot mine a couple days ago... i used a eye dropper  filled with vinager and put it near his mouth and fired. havent seen him sence

warr0088

Yah seems like the consensus is vinegar / syringe ... theres little babies in the tank too ... pepprmint shrimp to take care of that?

What about Joe's Juice?

warr0088

Thanks Char, I read your post and am going to zap the little b##tard right now with vinegar, I'll look into peppermint shrimp soon ...

warr0088

lol, they didnt like that at all, immediately retreated into the rock.  I wondered though, do these need to be injected, or can i just syringe the area around them?

char0434

as long as u shoot into its mouth u would be fine! :)

buzzard

I use pure lemon juice, less acid and does the same thing.
If you know a diabetic needles are cheep and acurate.

groupie02

Quote from: warr0088 on March 10, 2008, 04:44:37 PM
Yah seems like the consensus is vinegar / syringe ... theres little babies in the tank too ... pepprmint shrimp to take care of that?

What about Joe's Juice?

Yup! Peppermint shrimp work.

warr0088

Thanks everyone!  I zapped as many as I could, but theres several little tiny ones burried in the rocks ... will 2 peppermint shrimp take care of these?  I dont know if they will be able to get at all of them, especially in the crevices ...

char0434

yeah but if they dont they have to comeout some time and them BAM! hehe

Im not sure how many we need. Im going to be picking up a couple (2) but if the price is right maybe a couple more, they are kinda cool looking.

warr0088

I just got back from BA Kanata and got some hermits / snails and 1 peppermint shrimp to take care of the problem.  $20 for the shrimp ... one of the lads there said 1 would be enough, so I'll try it and hopefully I'll be successful.  I'll let you know how it does Char!

Thanks for helping out everyone!

angelfreak

I got 2 Peppermint shriimp on Sunday and added so hopefully I wont see any Aptasia

char0434

apparently u have to not feed for alil bit for them to go after the asptasia...? hmm ok let me know if any results, ill prob be picking up some on thursday then.
Adam :)

AdamN

another thing I have noticed while zapping aiptasia in my tanks are the fish and hermits love them when they are seasoned with vinegar! .. I even zapped a huge anemone, it was in there for a long time, but as soon as I hit it with vinegar, my foxface ate it, he tore at it like a dog with a peice of raw meat! .. and in my nano the hermits ate it right after I injected it.

This is the one my foxface ate...

warr0088

wow, that's pretty cool!  I was worried that all the vinegar would pollute my water ... so unless directly contacted by other species I suppose it's almost a good thing if it promotes feeding off of the nasty apitasia's!

AdamN

Actually I am still concerned about the effects of vinegar in the water so I try to use as little as possible and shove it right down the things throat so not much goes into the water. I have never seen any ill effects of it so far, but I dont imagine too much vinegar in the water is a good thing.