Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

More Critters - Can Anyone Identify Please?

Started by warr0088, March 10, 2008, 06:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warr0088

So while zapping my apitasia, I came across these:

Is this a zoanthid?  (Lighting very low for now, just a regular fluorescent strip with 1 actinic also.  I'd be surprised if it was)

Is the other starfish a brittlestar?  Theres TONS of these tiny guys hiding in the rocks / substrate ...

Are these brittlestars a welcoming to a nano tank?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

char0434

hey again hehe

yeah i got the top one 2, where u get ur rock from it looks very similar to mine and anglefreaks. I think there a type of worm like a featherduster but i could be wrong i dont think there bad.

pitabread

First is a Zoa of some kind.

Second is some sort of tiny brittle starfish.  I have them in my tank too and I don't think they are harmful.

char0434

really a zoa thats pretty good! maybe mine is diff.

warr0088

haha, seems like some of us have something in common.  I got my rock (totoka) and live sand from aumontmatthew on this forum a couple weeks ago.  Approx. 11lbs of LR and 35lbs of LS. 

I'm surprised I would have a Zoa as I said my lighting really sucks right now ... and as for those starfish ro whatever they are, I sure as heck hope their not harmeful!  There's tons of them hiding in the rock / sandbed!

angelfreak

the stars are not harmfull, there good. Zoas dont need high light to grow so I'm not surprized you have it. thats a bonus. I got green star polyps on my rock from matt. I have not found any Aptasia on mine yet, knock on wood.

Scott

char0434

warr0088

So I suppose we have the same critters in our tanks then (theoretically).  Check to see if you have any of those stars .... I swear their all over the place!

I'm really glad to hear that their good / okay in the tank!  I was wondering though, would having these allow me to keep a Harlequin shrimp? 

Also very off-topic .. what temp / saltinity do you folks use?  (I'm running around 80f and 1.025 salt right now, I think I'm high on both counts).

Thanks in advance!

pitabread

1.025 is fine.  Real ocean water is 1.026.

warr0088

Okay, so range should be 1.023 to 1.026 then?  And it can fluctuate within that range no problem?  What about water temp?

angelfreak

I run at 1.026 and tmp gets no more than 82 degrees but your ok between 75 and 85

xiaan

I am also running around 1.025 with temp around 79-80

Vallely4

Quote from: warr0088 on March 11, 2008, 10:31:21 AM
Okay, so range should be 1.023 to 1.026 then?  And it can fluctuate within that range no problem?  What about water temp?

Just for future, when there's coral in the tank your going to want to keep all water parameters fairly steady, including salinity. It should stay relative at 1.025, 1.023 is little low

Temp. ranges all over the ocean, so its different where each of your coral were likely collected. I've read some advice someplace there mentioned keeping tank temperature a couple degrees lower in the summer, and higher in the winter months. In case of chance of there ever being a power failure/Air Conditioner failing. In a medium sized tank, a few degrees difference could make the difference and keep your tank in an alright temp. range for several hours without losing too much heat/cold.
sorry too disrail the thread :-X
Just something to thing aboot!

warr0088

I really appreciate the advice ... I wasn't 100% sure where I should be sitting at, and I figured that in a nano water will evaporate quickly, so I should stay at 1.023 to give me a little extra breathing room.  Good idea on keeping the temp. higher in winter, wouldn't take long for a 20 to lose heat!