Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

lighting question, 10k, 14k, 15k???

Started by Darth, March 11, 2008, 11:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

What's the best metal halide kelvin rating to use for max coral growth??

Thanks

warr0088

I don't have much or any experience yet personally, but I found a lot of info from nano-reef.com in their lighting forum.  I'm pretty sure the lower the Kelvin rating the higher the growth, but of course the lower the rating the more yellow the light becomes ... I remember reading that many reefers used Phoenix 14k MH bulbs.  I would do a search in their lighting forum and see what you can find!

Vallely4

I hope somebody with greater experience here chimes in aswell.
Warr0088' on the right track
I think I've read the best for max growth is 6500k(which is Kelvin rating of natural sunlight). But its tends to give the tank a more yellowish look than the eye tends to enjoy, Thats why people go towards the bluer spectrum lights like 14-20k, just cause it looks more pleasing.
Someone can surely expand on this though...  :D ;)   (I personally love my 14k)

Darth

so 15k is okay, 20k, is the bluest but slowest?

warr0088

That's what i've read!  20k looks nice but doesn't do much for growth ... I think 14k was supposedly the happy medium ... better double check with that though!

Darth

Well I got a 15k bulb now, so I guess I will see how it goes

thanks

sniggir

the bluer the bulb the less intesity.. but again... it all depends on what you like... and what your watage is... I run duel 400w MH on my 65g ,,, and because of the watage I use a 20k XM and a 12k reeflux.. so I get the best of both worlds... color and growth because of the wattage. but if groth is what you are looking for than 6500 is what you want,,, but you will not enjoy looking at your tank that is for sure..
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

ray

Hi As stated you will definitely get better growth out of a lower K bulb such as Venture 5500k ,but will need some actinics to help of set the yeoolow look unleess you like that.Also the higher the k rating the more the colours will appear.
Another fact to consider is that not all bulbs are the same.For example a Phoenix 14 k is bluer than a Ushio 15k and therre is not much difference between the 10 and 15k Ushios,CRI also is something to consider,the higher thr number the more true to the colour