Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Flame Hawkfish?

Started by fishboy, March 15, 2008, 02:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishboy

Just wanted to know a little more about this guy. Would he be sutible for a 20g (long) there is some shrimp in there (cleaner, pistol, pepermint). Would he be ok or would he get to big?.

THanks

Vallely4

Im not sure what your point is about peppermint, cleaner, pistol shrimp...
Unless your trying to prove how you can provide expensive meals for a flame hawk :D they'd be a quick meal  (..even though their the least aggressive hawk)

There's lots a fish information sites on the net though.... ::)

xenon

I have one and he is not happy one bit in my 40g breeder. I found out later that they don't do well in captivity and often jump out of the tank. He spends most of his time trying to get out.

I have a small cleaner and small fire shrimp and so far they are ok. As long as they have established themselves in your tank before you add the flame hawk they should be ok. If you add in some shrimps after you add the hawk he may look at it like a meal.

PowderBlueTang

Even if you have establish shrimps over time they might become snacks also. Any known shrimp eater cannot be trusted, unless you can afford to give them the expensive snack sooner or later!

xenon

Quote from: PowderBlueTang on March 15, 2008, 05:27:42 PM
Even if you have establish shrimps over time they might become snacks also. Any known shrimp eater cannot be trusted, unless you can afford to give them the expensive snack sooner or later!

Very true. There is always a chance it will happen.

I took a chance adding a reef lobster in my 90g and he ended up eating my cleaner shrimp pair and yellow watchman goby. That was an expensive mistake.

PowderBlueTang

I even had a 6 line wrasse, that everything you read or talk too said the are reef safe and won't touch the shrimps. I watch as my 4 pepermints slowly starting to disappear one by one. I caught him eating my last one. It all depends on the personality of your fish!