Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Java Moss Project & Pictures! (new title!)

Started by Nerine, March 18, 2008, 06:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

I'm having difficulty locating information on Java Moss. Yes we all know it grows well in lower temps, moving water etc.

But what I want is more details!! :)
Natural habitat etc!!

Right now I have a bucket of java moss growing in the 75 (tank is empty) and it's now growing above the waterline and is covered in tiny white looking buds all over it, and the "stems" are sticking straight out of the water. it's interesting!!

It has been growing like this since the giant auction when I had forgotten to top off the bucket and let the water line go down and since then it's taken off growing like weeds OUT of water :)
If it will grow well OUT of water with a lot of humidity, it's going in the gecko tank!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Laura

Here's a moss website http://www.aquamoss.net/Java-Moss/Java%20Moss%20Vesicularia%20dubyana.htm

There may be some good links within this site too.  (plus he seems excited about capsules - are they your white spores above the waterline?)

I think a number of mosses grow terrestrially and we just put them in our tanks, I would try some in the humid gecko tank.

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

irene

Have a look at this:

http://brianstropicals.com/building.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the java moss.  Apparently riccia does well in terrariums too.

Irene

Nerine

Interesting links!!

Yes they are white spores ABOVE the water line....maybe I should be photo documenting this adventure ;)

It's growing VERY well...in fact so well I need to set up another bucket!! I really enjoy the carpet effect and if I can get the same effect going up the side of the Terrarium it would be perfect :)

I'm going to be taking photos of this Java Moss adventure asap, I just have a few errands to run then I'll start on the modding of the tank hehe :D

Items I have:

18x18x18 tank
under tank heating, clamp lamp/sunshine
Styrofoam backdrop (ugh but it works to hold in plants! and the gecko won't eat it)
driftwood
fogger
waterfall w/pump
rocks
air pump to keep water moving
1 green eyed tokay who is not too keen on me decorating her tank
Java Moss ooddles of it :)
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Vizerdrix

dan2x38

Quote from: irene on March 18, 2008, 07:22:49 AM
Have a look at this:

http://brianstropicals.com/building.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the java moss.  Apparently riccia does well in terrariums too.

Irene

Nerine, if you need a handful of riccia to get started can set ya up with a bit... I know bit of a Jack here...  :-[ BUT for a good cause... Yes?  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Nerine

hehe that's ok :D

I know! I'm bad!! I didn't do pictures yet :) I am drawing up a board of my design, because this is going to be a nice home for Midori...and eventually I'd like to add a betta in there ;) haha

tonight!! I will have before photos of the tank and photos of the moss growing out of the water :)

Nerine

well I wrote to the guy on the site, and what he has and what I have are different things!! so hoping that the white buds grow again! they've grown twice so I don't see a reason for them not to go again!!

Anyways, as promised :) before/after shots of moss and terrarium with moss!!
now keep in mind, moss is new to the tank, and it hasn't had time to attach itself to anything yet :) but I'm working on having the waterfall covered with moss, figured a small ball will start off just fine!

Nerine

Before & After shots with a shot of the "moss pot" and the happy new tenant :)

You can see the moss creeping up the side of the bucket!

Moss pot!

Finished product!

Happy new homeowner  (with java moss growing on the fake wood)

washefuzzy