Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Duckweed

Started by NjOyRiD, March 22, 2005, 10:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

is it good or bad in a planted tank?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

BigDaddy

Duckweed can be both good and bad.

Duckweed is good for shading light for some light sensitive fish.  Some fry enjoy hiding in duckweed roots.  It's also VERY prolific, so it will suck up nutrients in the water.

HOWEVER

It shades light from plants underneath it.  It's also VERY prolific, which means you'll be netting out mounds of duckweek in no time.  It tends to clog up HOBS quickly.

There's the pros and cons.  You decide.

NjOyRiD

I already have a lot...

hummm...well I,ll give it away if people wants some :)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Roop

my goldfish go through 3 square feet of duckweed a day. i have lots of plants that i could trade if you have a decent quantity.

i have:

parrot feather
narrow anubias
small and extra large hygrophila
wisteria
rotala
cabomba

i'll be pruning my planted tanks this weekend and i should have lots of scraps. pm me if you're intrested.

NjOyRiD

you have a lot of cabomba?
370g System

dpatte

im interested in trading my duckweed for your plants - i live near the queenway and parkdale. Id be interested in any of what you have.

BigDaddy

Is the cabomba carolina, aquatica, furcata or palaeformis?

Eagle_Eye

I received a hand full of duck stuff myself and was hoping to have it reproduce..

Yet under my 2 175w MH bulbs they all went white in colour with in 2 days 12 houres on and 12 off.

Did i kill it off??

Since then i have only been turning on my 2 40w neons for 12 on 12, one or 2 green spots left all else is white and some going brown, i have tried adding fertiliser as well.

any tips?
thanks.

NjOyRiD

whoa you killed it...LOL
370g System

Eagle_Eye

oh well it gives a hole new meaning to cooked lol

fresh cooked duck any one??

BigDaddy

I have a 10 gallon with screw in fluorescents... some duckweek grows, some goes white.

Nitrates in the tank are almost always 0.  I'm willing to bet with that high light, the duckweed is sucking up everything it can, and then when there is nothing left to feed off of, it dies out.

Roop

Quote from: "BigDaddy"Is the cabomba carolina, aquatica, furcata or palaeformis?

carolina. dark green stuff. i origannly got it from superpet in kanata. they have the red variety there. i find the red stuff is way too hard to grow.

here's a high res macro shot of my cabomba pearling. actual size is about 2.5" across. they grow at a rate of about 6" in hight a week. i'll have about a dozen good top growth stems. i'm looking for as much duckweed as one can get. as i said, 3 sq/ft lasts 1 day.

http://www.rserve.biz/aquatics/aquaria/flora/cabomba_pearling_macro_06.jpg

Sailfin

If I would of know duck week was so popular, I wouldn't of thrown mine out.   I had a good pound or two!~   It'll grow back with what I have, and maybe I'll post it in the future.