Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Auto top-up system

Started by Gaspare, April 22, 2008, 08:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaspare

I am think of purchasing or making an auto top up system that I can use when I go away for a few days in the summer.   :)

I was hoping I could pick your brains as to what system you may have used and how you liked it?   ???

I would have to use a system that would pump the water from a bucket I could place next to the sump.   

Thank you  ;)

xiaan

Gaspare

Thank you for all your help. :)  i will probably give it a try.  It sure would be nice to go away for a few days and not have to worry about the tank.

sdivell

I want one too.. but might be a little over kill for my 10g!  ;D

AdamN

The one I just sold when I tore down my 75 was a coralife topoff switch/relay with a MJ1200 pumping water from a bucket to my sump. Worked flawlessly the whole time it was running, and I never even cleaned it.

Zzippper

Quote from: xiaan on April 22, 2008, 08:46:08 AM
That is what I am using to and BWI is now selling there units here in Canada check out http://www.shopbwirrigation.com/

Thanks for the link xiaan!
I ordered one from www.shopbwirrigation.com today!

Z

groan

Zzippper

Yep - that's the one. I ordered it yesterday and received it today!

Z

groan

Zzippper

Great! You'll likely get it tomorrow!
I just set mine up tonight - works like a charm!

Z

groan

Got my ATUS today.
What sort of pump do you use for this?my MJ 400 dosnt even have enough poser in it to pump water from a bucket on the floor up over the rim of my tank!

charlie

Quote from: groan on May 06, 2008, 04:18:32 PM
Got my ATUS today.
What sort of pump do you use for this?my MJ 400 dosnt even have enough poser in it to pump water from a bucket on the floor up over the rim of my tank!
I`m intersted in finding out too  ;), would a quiet one 800 or 1200 do the trick & do you need a check valve  :D

Zzippper

Believe it or not... I am using the pump from one of those dog/cat water dishes that they sell at Walmart & Petsmart.
(The pump itself is really small - only about 2.5" x 1.5' x 2")

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751253

It says right on the pump "head up to 50 cm". Works great! Very quietly pumps water when needed. It's slow - but who cares.
Standard airline tubing fits perfectly into the outflow of the pump too.

Z

groan

is your reservoir/pump sitting on the floor and pumping up over the top of an aquarium or are you only going into a sump that is at floor level?

Zzippper

Quote from: groan on May 07, 2008, 01:45:42 PM
is your reservoir/pump sitting on the floor and pumping up over the top of an aquarium or are you only going into a sump that is at floor level?

My reservoir/pump is sitting on the floor and pumping into my sump which is slightly higher than floor level. As I understand it, introducing the top-off water into the sump is the better way to go as it allows the fresh, colder water to mix with the warmer salty water more thoroughly before the inhabitants of the tank are exposed to it.

Z

Funkmotor

The TOM Aqua-Lifter pump is rated to push at least 30" of head.  I have one and it will do more than that.

It uses standard airline tubing, and it won't burn out if it runs dry.  You can actually use it as an air pump if you want to.  Moves 3.5 gallons per hour, apparently, which should be fast enough for topping off.

One thing it's no good for is Kalk.  You want good, clean water moving through this thing.

xiaan

I am using a Fountain Tech pump from autotopoff.com it has a 8' head hight and does a nice job of pumping water from my top off bucket in the basement to the tank.

groan

Quote from: Zzippper on May 07, 2008, 04:10:20 PM
My reservoir/pump is sitting on the floor and pumping into my sump which is slightly higher than floor level. As I understand it, introducing the top-off water into the sump is the better way to go as it allows the fresh, colder water to mix with the warmer salty water more thoroughly before the inhabitants of the tank are exposed to it.

Z

i dont have a sump yet, when i do that is where i will be doing my top offs...

Thanks for the other suggestions, now just need to locate a local retailer that will sell me one

Cris6238

Hello, I am a bit late to this thread but would like to thank all that contributed with their links...it sure made things easier when looking into an auto top-up system.

I am having problems registering at www.shopbwirrigation.com and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. The registration form page does not show me a "email" box resulting in an error "please give a valid email address" after having completed every visible and "required" information box...

I would give it my email...if it would ask.. ::)

Is there a difference between ordering at "www.autotopoff.com" and "www.shopbwirrigation.com" ?

Autotopoff has 10$ shipping...how much is it for www.shopbwirrigation.com? Thank you in advance for any input!