Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Noise with drain/sump system

Started by Ormarr, April 24, 2008, 08:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ormarr

I finally filled my drilled 90g tonight and I am having issues with the gurgling noise from the drain line.  It's a straight forward drain over filter floss first, over bio-balls and then drains into the return section.  The return section has a Quiet One 3000 pump.  1" plumbing for both drain and return lines with a ball valve on the return line to control flow.  Any recommendations as to what I might be able to do to eliminate (at least reduce) the noise.   It's mainly the trickling sound and the occasional siphoning sound near the water line that bothers me.  The drain line has a small hole with tube for air intake, which I thought would prevent this....

Thanks.

ray

Do a search for durso standpipe,that should solve noise problems

Ormarr

The drain pipe came with the Reef Ready tank I have and is almost identical to the Durso standpipe.

Funkmotor

I don't know if it will help or not, but here goes...

I think that the 1" drain line you've got isn't big enough for the water you're pushing through it.  Maybe it can handle it, but it can't handle it quietly.  A lot of people will make the holes in those reef-ready tanks larger so they can fit bigger pipes.

The first thing you should try is restricting your pump back a bit.  A Quiet One 3000 will do 500gph at 5 feet of head, and that's likely too much for that 1" line.  I can tell you I've got a 1.5" drain on my 40 and at roughly 250gph I can still hear moving water - though it's not a bad noise.

I would hope you put a ball valve on your return line somewhere for this purpose.  If you didn't, you should seriously think about adding one.  It's not bad to have backpressure on the return pump.  (You definitely do not want to restrict the intake side, though...that's really bad.)

I didn't put a ball valve on my return for exactly this...I teed my return and on the teed out line there's a ball valve.  It controls how much water goes to the fuge, and the more I let go there the less makes it back up to the tank.  Hope that makes sense.

Ormarr

Quote from: Ormarr on April 24, 2008, 08:38:21 PM
I finally filled my drilled 90g tonight and I am having issues with the gurgling noise from the drain line.  It's a straight forward drain over filter floss first, over bio-balls and then drains into the return section.  The return section has a Quiet One 3000 pump.  1" plumbing for both drain and return lines with a ball valve on the return line to control flow   ;).  Any recommendations as to what I might be able to do to eliminate (at least reduce) the noise.   It's mainly the trickling sound and the occasional siphoning sound near the water line that bothers me.  The drain line has a small hole with tube for air intake, which I thought would prevent this....

Thanks.

Is it just a matter of reducing flow on the return side to diminish noise?  I played around a bit with that last night and it seems to be better now.

Funkmotor

Quote from: Ormarr on April 25, 2008, 09:40:49 AM
Is it just a matter of reducing flow on the return side to diminish noise?  I played around a bit with that last night and it seems to be better now.

Ahhh, I read it quick.   ::)

And I would say yes.  In your situation, reducing the amount of water coming down that line (or finding the elusive "sweet spot") is certainly the ticket to less noise.

Zzippper

Quote from: ray on April 24, 2008, 10:18:08 PM
Do a search for durso standpipe,that should solve noise problems

Thanks for the link Ray.
I modded my two HOB overflows to use a durso standpipe configuration.
It made a big difference!

Z