Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Spray painting tank black?

Started by saltynewb, April 26, 2008, 02:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltynewb

Am I able to use regular krylon spray paint? who else has gone this route, and how were the results?

Thanks!
Andrew

Adam

I've done it.  I used Krylon fusion matte black for glass applications.  Worked fine, but tape off carefully.  Cover the sides of the tank so that you don't get little flecks of black all over them. 

It doesn't fall off, have air bubbles in it or get water stains between it and the tank like temporary backgrounds.  I will only spraypaint backgrounds from now on.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

redbelly

I have used tremclad black with a foam roller before with great success!
I had planned on using spray paint but I was concerned with overspray.

audioslave_36

I have the Krylon glass paint on all my tanks, I sprayed them all with no issues at all. I would not go any other route ever again :) my tanks are all in wall so I have three sides done on them. In my opinion it is the cleanest looking background you can do, I have tried seaview and vaseline on regular backgrounds but the paint is much nicer looking. I masked off the top and all the black trim to avoid getting paint inside my tank and on the trim. all in all not a hard task at all. well worth it.

Saltcreep

Quote from: saltynewb on April 26, 2008, 02:39:21 PM
Am I able to use regular krylon spray paint? who else has gone this route, and how were the results?

Thanks!
Andrew

Similar, excellent results with Tremclad spray. Any solvent (not latex) based paint will work. Like others have said, No more paper backgrounds for me ... paint all the way.

gmann

Is this Krylon paint available at most hardware stores? I have to do a 5'x26" tank,how many cans will I need.
Thanks.