Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fluorescent tube diameter question

Started by Dorrie, May 05, 2008, 09:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorrie

Hi!

I thought my bulb had burned out (turns out my timer was the problem... ???), so I got another tube, 30" 25 watts. When I got home, I noticed the old bulb is wider than the new one. The new one doesn't work in my fixture (the ends light up, but the middles flashes).

I was wondering how do I detemine the tube diameter? (ie is it the T rating? eg, T5, T8, etc.)

Thanks for looking! :)

Funkmotor

Everything you need to know (and more) is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

Look in the little contents area for Section 6, Tube Designations.

Dorrie

Quote from: Funkmotor on May 05, 2008, 09:43:39 PM
Everything you need to know (and more) is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

Look in the little contents area for Section 6, Tube Designations.
Taken from the cited article:
"Lamps are typically identified by a code such as F##T##, where F is for fluorescent, the first number indicates the power in watts (or where lamps can be operated at different power levels, the length in inches), the T indicates that the shape of the bulb is tubular, and the last number is the diameter in eighths of an inch (sometimes in millimeters, rounded to the nearest millimeter)."

Much thanks Funkmotor :) I've now figured out the bulb I'm looking is a T10! Hope I'll find some...

Funkmotor

T10 is a bit of an oddball lamp for an aquarium...

The best way to be sure is to take the old tube shopping with you...that way there can be no mistake.

charlie

Quote from: Funkmotor on May 06, 2008, 09:28:49 AM
T10 is a bit of an oddball lamp for an aquarium...

The best way to be sure is to take the old tube shopping with you...that way there can be no mistake.
The T10 was actually fairly common for Hagen at one time.
Dorrie , if it is for the 33 gln you bought from me , it is a T10.
Regards

Dorrie

Quote from: charlie on May 06, 2008, 09:47:50 AM
The T10 was actually fairly common for Hagen at one time.
Dorrie, if it is for the 33 gln you bought from me , it is a T10.
Regards
Right on the money Errol :) Very satisfied with the tank btw ;)
Not easy to find anymore, but I've managed to get one from La Niche
(FYI the nice people at Big Al's Innes told me they didn't have any there)