Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

nitrate in a planted tank

Started by NjOyRiD, March 29, 2005, 11:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NjOyRiD

what is the thing i have to put in the water to put my nitrate higher? my nitrate is always zero :(
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Aiglos

You want a low nitrate.  The lower the nitrate the better, assuming you have a cycled tank, which I assume you do, you probally do alot of water changes.

NjOyRiD

its a planted tank I need like 25 ppm  ;)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Ron

Most of us use potassium nitrate, KNO3. You can get it at Homegrown Hydroponics on, I believe, Antares Drive, just south of Hunt Club. They are a good source for all the other nutrients you might need as well - they stock all the ingredients for mixing PMDD.

Best,   Ron

NjOyRiD

ok thanx this is what I was looking for :)
370g System

dannypd

Quote from: "Ron"Most of us use potassium nitrate, KNO3. You can get it at Homegrown Hydroponics on, I believe, Antares Drive, just south of Hunt Club. They are a good source for all the other nutrients you might need as well - they stock all the ingredients for mixing PMDD.

Best,   Ron

ORIGINAL POST:
I had mentioned an alternative mix, but I realized this contained ammonia.

However, I didn't realize the implication with the above quote, when I added:
Ignore that...most outdoor ferts have ammonias...

Please excuse my ignorance, I did not mean ANY offence to Ron.  I was simply fixing MY post and correcting MY mistake I had made.

slickshooter

I know nothing about planted tanks but.... Wouldn't it be logical to just let your tank get a little "dirty" and let the levels rise naturally as opposed to throwing chemicals in?

Ron

When we grow plants in our aquariums under intense light with CO2 supplementation, the nutrient by-products from feeding the fish often are not sufficient to meet the needs of the plants, so we  add macronutrients like nitrate and phosphate, in addition to micronutrients. Failing to do so will lead to various algae problems.

As for dannypd's advice to "ignore" my post, may I suggest he do a little more research before advising others. I didn't suggest anybody add Miracle Grow to their tanks :) The chemicals I'm referring to are just what they are labelled as, in this case,  potassium nitrate, or KNO3.

For lots of info on planted aquariums, check out the Aquatic Plants Digest at

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/index.php

Best regards,
                      Ron

Marc

Quote from: "dannypd"
Quote from: "Ron"Most of us use potassium nitrate, KNO3. You can get it at Homegrown Hydroponics on, I believe, Antares Drive, just south of Hunt Club. They are a good source for all the other nutrients you might need as well - they stock all the ingredients for mixing PMDD.

Best,   Ron

Danny, that was rude.  Ron knows what he's talking about.  Ron sells  a large number of plants at OVAS auctions and has for years.  All plants that he has grown in his tanks.

Marc

NjOyRiD

Is that right Ron, you sell some plants?
370g System

Ron

It's true - I try to make to as many meetings as I can, and never come without some plants to put in the mini-auction. Hope you can make it to a meeting.

Best,

Ron

NjOyRiD

i need hairgrass, congo anubias and twisted valis, cant find anywhere :(
370g System

saporis

Quote from: "Marc"

Best,   Ron

Danny, that was rude.  Ron knows what he's talking about.  Ron sells  a large number of plants at OVAS auctions and has for years.  All plants that he has grown in his tanks.

Marc

OHH!@!!!

I meant MY post!!

I said something about miracle grow, but I , *I* was mistaken

(this is dannypd on my other computer)

dannypd

Quote from: "saporis"
OHH!!!!

I meant MY post!!

Fixed..   See the modified message!

I did not mean to be rude, again, I am sorry.

NjOyRiD

370g System

dannypd

Quote from: "Ron"As for dannypd's advice to "ignore" my post, may I suggest he do a little more research before advising others. I didn't suggest anybody add Miracle Grow to their tanks :) The chemicals I'm referring to are just what they are labelled as, in this case,  potassium nitrate, or KNO3.
                      Ron

Ironically, that's one of the items  I suggested...you're good!

Marc

Quote from: "saporis"
OHH!!!!

I meant MY post!!

Fixed..   See the modified message!

I did not mean to be rude, again, I am sorry.

Cool.  Your edited message didn't come across the way you intended.   Thanks for the explanation.

Marc

Ron

Thanks for clearing things up Danny; no offence taken :)

Cheers,

Ron

BigDaddy

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"its a planted tank I need like 25 ppm  ;)

PS - 25ppm of nitrate is NOT what you need.  You need to maintain between 5 and 10ppm of nitrate.

25ppm is the optimal concentration of CO2.

NjOyRiD

ok thanx big daddy :) i thought it was 25 ppm
370g System