Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where to buy equipment?

Started by martin_jones, May 17, 2008, 05:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin_jones

Hi,
I need to get a new filter (Eheim classic 2215) and was wondering where would be the cheapest place to get it here in Ottawa?

Also, on a side note, I noticed Big Al's online has it at $159.99, whereas Big Al's US store has it at $98.99. Is there always such a discrepancy in prices between Canada and the US? (I only moved here from the UK last year, so am not familiar with these things)

Martin
With fronds like these, who needs anemones?

Vizerdrix

There has always been a big discrepancy in the prices between the two countries, because the Canadian dollar has traditionally been worth less than the American one.  Unfortunately, the prices were never adapted properly after the American dollar sank.

Your best bet for your filter is to call around town.  Fishtail Aquariums in Orleans usually has very good prices.  You may also want to post an ad in the classifieds.

Online prices aren't always instore prices.

fischkopp

Unfortunately, there is :( You wont find the competitive variety of shops you are used to from Europe. Sometimes, buying in the US is ok, but shipping rates to Canada are high and customs on top of it.

Look at the forum sponsor list. Some places give you better deals and of course the OVAS discount.

You can also try some other online locations; usually BA does pricematching if you find it somewhere else cheaper.

http://www.mops.ca
http://www.jlaquatics.com
http://www.petsandponds.com
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

martin_jones

I emailed BigAlsOnline with the same query; why is there a $60 difference between US and CDN prices. Here is the reply I recieved:
QuoteThank you for your inquiries regarding differences in pricing between our Canadian and American websites. We hope that the following explanation will help you better understand our position as well as the circumstances behind the apparent discrepancies.

There are several external factors that influence our prices, as well as additional costs and expenses that must be considered internally before we even establish said prices. One must also consider that as Canada and the U.S. are two completely different markets with unique characteristics and attributes, they are realistically incomparable as equal counterparts and must be viewed as such. The aforementioned governing factors include the following:

· Duty and Taxes – in accordance with government legislation, all foreign products imported into Canada are subject to duty and taxation, and such expenses must be considered when pricing is determined.

· Shipping Costs – The ever-rising cost of fuel has unfortunately translated into significantly higher transportation costs. These increases must be incorporated into the pricing of all products and services.

· U.S. Currency – Canadian Corporations often purchase large amounts of U.S. currency in advance, thereby enabling them to set prices for a predetermined period of time. Essentially, inventory that we purchased before the significant strengthening of the Canadian dollar was more expensive than it would be at current exchange rates, and our prices for said inventory must reflect same.

· Warranty Claims – Any compromised or defective products must be shipped back the U.S. for processing and / or repair. These additional costs must be considered when pricing is determined.

· Canadian Safety Standards – products transported across the Canadian border must pass very strict safety standards in accordance with government legislation. Canadian corporations therefore incur additional expenses when importing goods.

· Higher Overhead Costs – The general operating costs in Canada are higher than the respective costs in the U.S., and this must be considered when Canadian pricing is determined. This includes higher taxes, higher wage costs, higher rent costs, and more.

Additionally, we would like to restate that if you find the same product sold by any Canadian online vendor for less, Big Al's Online Canada will beat that price by 5%, just as Big Al's Online U.S., will beat any American online competitor's prices by 5%.   

We sincerely hope that the above explanation has helped you, our valued customers, understand our position, and further appreciate the determinant factors affecting our current Canadian online pricing. The unpredictable nature of the economy aside, we anticipate being able to continue to adjustments prices for the rest of the year. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Personally, I don't think any of these justify a $60 difference on a $100 product - 60%?

I may just get a friend in the US to post me one up - it's bound to be cheaper :)

Funkmotor

Quote from: martin_jones on May 19, 2008, 12:24:23 PM
I emailed BigAlsOnline with the same query; why is there a $60 difference between US and CDN prices. Here is the reply I recieved:
Personally, I don't think any of these justify a $60 difference on a $100 product - 60%?

I may just get a friend in the US to post me one up - it's bound to be cheaper :)

Okay.  The first thing you need is an OVAS membership.  Big Al's has a 15% discount on just about everything for OVAS members, and the membership is $15.00.  Chalk that up as a separate expense to keep the math here easy, as you can use it again and again.

So you go and buy your Eheim at BA's and it will cost you 160 - 15% + tax = $153 and change.

Now, let's compare that $153 to a $99 USA purchase.

First, there's exchange.  If you use a credit card it's the closest it's going to get, so you can count on straight exchange plus two points.  (Or thereabouts.)  So your $99USD is going to cost you about $104CDN.  Not too bad.

If you ship into Canada using UPS Standard service, it's a $19.95 brokerage fee, plus you must pay PST and GST on your purchase and on the fee.  Of course, the UPS itself would cost (guessing) $23.28USD, so we have to add that.

USD Costs:
$99 + $23.28 = 122.28USD

Convert to CDN:
$122.28 * 1.04 = $127.17CDN

Add brokerage charge:
$127.17CDN + $19.95 = $147.12CDN

Add GST/PST:
$147.12 * 1.13 = $166.25

Rough numbers, yes, but a pretty good idea.  And it ends up being more.  So even if I'm wrong or if you did it a different way, it would come out pretty close.

Nerine

even if your friend from the US posts it up here to you, you will be hit with a brokerage fee and taxes on an item like that. I've been hit with serious charges from family and friends in the states sending GIFTS up that I have been charged on!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

martin_jones

My boss works in Washington and comes up to Ottawa occasionally. If he were to bring it up in person, would any fees apply, or would he just bring it through customs and pay the duty if applicable?

Martin

beowulf

Quote from: martin_jones on May 22, 2008, 06:24:48 PM
My boss works in Washington and comes up to Ottawa occasionally. If he were to bring it up in person, would any fees apply, or would he just bring it through customs and pay the duty if applicable?

Martin

If he american? When he brings it up he has to declare it as a gift as such $75 will be taken off as a gift and he will have to pay taxes on the rest.

drboeing

I am not trying to hijack this thread, but on the topic of where to buy!!!!!
Where can I buy 4 straight pin compact flourescent bulbs. Big Als is charging around $45 each, YIKES :o, this unit has 4 of them. Anyone know of a cheaper priced store.

martin_jones

Don't mind you thread-hijacking, but you may have more luck posting a "looking for" in the classifieds section.

Martin

littlelil

martin, i would personally go the boss method. Duties on it wouldn't be too much, and that is, if he buys massive amounts of new stuff in the states and has to pay duties at all.

martin_jones

I've ordered from Petsmart.com now and getting it delivered to the US - a friend will then bring it up for me as he works in NY every month.

I think the total for the eheim 2217 and two visitherm 200W heaters came to 160 (including delivery). Slightly cheaper than buying in Canada; the 2217 alone up here is 200 +tax.

Thanks for all the advice.

Martin