Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Remote Deep Sand Bed

Started by FocusFin, May 21, 2008, 10:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zzippper

Quote from: FocusFin on June 18, 2008, 10:21:54 AM
No, but you thought it didn't you. I knew that this was more than just an "accident" ;)

.... Busted !!! :-[
lol

Z

Zzippper

Well, it's been just over a month (34 days) for my RDSB and so far there have been no noticable results. I must admit to being dissappointed as I've seen other people post (on other forums) that they've seen noticable results in 3 weeks.

I guess I have to wait longer...

In the mean time - I built a coil de-nitrator and got it going a fews days ago.

What about you FocusFin? Any positive results?

Z

FocusFin

Quote from: Zzippper on July 19, 2008, 07:48:03 PM

What about you FocusFin? Any positive results?

Z

Hi,

Sorry for the slow response, I've been away on holidays.

Unfortunately, I had to dismantle my setup before I left for holidays. I just couldn't take the chance on an "incident" while I was away. I still intend to try again now that I have the time to watch it everyday.

As for your results, I wouldn't despair just yet. I've read that it can take up to 6 weeks. It may however be difficult to determine whether it's the sandbed or the de-nitrator affecting the nitrates.

I thought about trying the de-nitrator but it looked so complicated I didn't know where to start.

Mike
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Zzippper

Quote from: FocusFin on July 24, 2008, 04:44:40 PM
I thought about trying the de-nitrator but it looked so complicated I didn't know where to start.

I'd be happy to build a coil denitrator for you. If you're interested - shoot me a PM.

Z

Darth

Quote from: Zzippper on July 19, 2008, 07:48:03 PM
In the mean time - I built a coil de-nitrator and got it going a fews days ago.

Z
Have you found a noticable difference?

Zzippper

It's only been running about 10 days, so no results yet.
I should start seeing results anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks.

Z

Zzippper

UPDATE...

After only 2.5 weeks, my coil denitrator is starting to work!!!!
I am wicked happy!!   :) :) :) :)

I ran side by side tests of the water before being run through the coil denitrator vs. water taken directly from the coil denitrator's output

Before the coil denitrator - nitrate = 20
After the coil denitrator - nitrate = 10

That's a 50% nitrate reduction! And the best part... This thing is just starting to work!! It's only going to get better and better!!!!

Finally a solution to my nitrate woes!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) :) :D :D ;D ;D :) :)

Z

EDIT:  I think I might start a separate thread on my coil denitrator success story... Provided that there isn't already a similar thread - which there probably is.
         FocusFin - once again, I am happy to build one for you if you'd like. I understand your sensitivity to flooding and I think that this might just be the perfect solution.

FocusFin

Quote from: Zzippper on July 29, 2008, 09:22:38 PM
         FocusFin - once again, I am happy to build one for you if you'd like. I understand your sensitivity to flooding and I think that this might just be the perfect solution.

Actually, I'm more sensitive to being shown-up in my own thread. ;)

Just kidding! That's very cool and I would like to try it. I think you should also start a thread on it because it would be a more practical solution for most people than an RDSB.

Mike

EDIT:  Where do we start! BTW I don't have a sump if that matters.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

RossW

If anyone is looking for some background on coil denitrator's here a few pages on them:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=470701