Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CF vs. PCs?

Started by littlelil, June 04, 2008, 10:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlelil

are compact fluorescents the exact same as power compact lights?

Can I just use those regular compact fluorscent lights over my salt water nano with the same effects as if i purchase a "salt water power compact" light for about 10x the price??

BigDaddy

Power compact and compact fluorescent are used interchangably yes.

Power compact, I believe, is just a marketing term.  Kinda like how everyone calls tissues "Kleenex"

Dorrie

"Power compact fluorescent bulbs, or compact fluorescents, are the newest type of fluorescent lighting. They last longer than other fluorescents, are more intense, take up less space and use less energy. They are wonderful for aquariums, where space is often an issue with standard-sized bulbs." So it seems it is a case of "same difference". :o

I also found an interesting article of the different lighting types
http://www.firsttankguide.net/lights.php

littlelil

that article has super good info in it!

thanks dorrie!

thanks bigdaddy

BigDaddy

I think the Program Director elect wants me to do a presentation on lighting this upcoming season littlelil.  Stay tuned  ;)

littlelil

haha, ok cool ;)

i plan to be a member this upcoming season

dan2x38

The PC blubs degrade in light quality faster in the first year then T5s do. Manufactures want us to change blubs every 9-12 months but they last closer to 3 years. I've read a few articles on testing both. PCs cost more than T5s. In the long run it it suppose to be cooler, cheaper, and takes less space to run T5s. My T5 fixture is smaller and runs cooler than my PC fixture. I can't test anything else though.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

kennyman

no dan I would say you get more light /sq foot out of compacts than T5's. That is why I run CF's on my reef cube. Could you tell me how many T5's I would have to put over a 20" tank tank to get 158W? That is what I get from the three pc bulbs I have now. And probably around 8,000 lumen.

Those screw have a built-in ballast and everything. but they don't make much light. For basic FW I guess they are ok though.

dan2x38

Yes that is a very good point Kennyman.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."