Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CO2 inline reactor - concern about debris?

Started by zima, June 28, 2008, 04:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zima

So here is my take on external CO2 inline reactor. I basically followed this prototype http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm with two exceptions: I don't think I'll be using any bio balls because I fear clogging due to debris, and I decided to do a 45 degree angle on the intake to create a sort of "turbulence chamber".

Here's my concern. If you look carefully at the inside of the endcap reducer, it's surface is a bit rough. My worry is that this roughness will be catching the debris and eventually clog. Any thoughts? Any experience using an inline reactor with or without bio balls and noticing any clogging?

[attachment deleted by admin]

dan2x38

I use one it is on the output of my canister. No problems... check it from time to time though. I also have an inline diffuser obn my plant filter pick-up pump. This one I need to rinse out every 2-3 months. The MJ 1200 has a sponge over the intake but things still build-up. Same as everything requires cleaning... welcome to the planted tank World - more beauty = more work.  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

zima

I was planning on installing the reactor on the input lane based on my reading. Am I misinterpreting things? If it is on the output, how do you get CO2 to mix with water (i.e., would it not shoot back into water and escape)?

BigDaddy

You should mount it on the output, just have the flow redirected down again instead of up (bottom of canister to top of inline then bottom of inline to tank)