Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Canadian vs US pricing at bigal's web site...

Started by alexv, June 30, 2008, 11:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexv

I'm looking for substrate heating cables and found something I'd like to buy - Red Sea Root Therm 400. Looking around I found it at www.bigalsonline.com at a reasonable price - US$31.49. It turns out that US site doesn't ship to Canada. I checked the canadian site and was amazed at their price: CDN$89.99

Any idea how such a huge price difference is justified and how to get it with the US site's pricing (or at least closer to it)?
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

BigDaddy

Economies of scale.  Selling to 300 million makes for a different market than selling to 30 million

If you do a search on US prices, you'll see the topic has been covered quite a few times on the site.

Nerine

and you seriously cannot forget customs fees, shipping fees etc :)
but this topic is allllll over this site! :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Plum

I never understand why some of the people of this site just don't have items shipped to Massena and drive them accorss the border. This way you avoid brokerage fee's.

As can be seen, there is huge savings. I never buy anything in Canada.

alexv

Quote from: Plum on July 02, 2008, 09:37:31 PM
I never understand why some of the people of this site just don't have items shipped to Massena and drive them accorss the border. This way you avoid brokerage fee's.

It's quite simple, really. Not everyone is a Canadian citizen who can just go into US without a visa :)

And I understand the difference in market sizes, fees and taxes and I expect some differences but 3 times the price.... well, not even taxes can be responsible for that...
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

pitabread

Quote from: alexv on July 02, 2008, 10:46:17 PM
And I understand the difference in market sizes, fees and taxes and I expect some differences but 3 times the price.... well, not even taxes can be responsible for that...

Big Al's is overpriced.  I prefer to order from J&L Aquatics, usually at 10-30% less the price.

Plum

Quote from: alexv on July 02, 2008, 10:46:17 PM
It's quite simple, really. Not everyone is a Canadian citizen who can just go into US without a visa :)

Pretty sure you can find someone capable of entering the USA to help you out with this. There are many reasons for the US prices offered at a significant discount. Whatever they are - I am happy someone is willing to be competitive unlike Canadian retailers. I picked up an FX5 last week for $175 US shipped.

Can't do that up here.

kennyman

Quote from: Plum on July 03, 2008, 04:54:52 PM
Pretty sure you can find someone capable of entering the USA to help you out with this. There are many reasons for the US prices offered at a significant discount. Whatever they are - I am happy someone is willing to be competitive unlike Canadian retailers. I picked up an FX5 last week for $175 US shipped.

Can't do that up here.

True that. The cost of employees and doing business in general is very hard on small business and really drives the price up. I am glad you got a good deal for your tank. But every time I see these threads I cant help but wonder what other types of work people do and if they think about people buying whatever service they provide from the states.

Plum

Quote from: kennyman on July 03, 2008, 06:48:58 PM
True that. The cost of employees and doing business in general is very hard on small business and really drives the price up. I am glad you got a good deal for your tank. But every time I see these threads I cant help but wonder what other types of work people do and if they think about people buying whatever service they provide from the states.

Well - Here are a few examples since I am constructing a 1300 sq.ft addition.

Armstrong Grand Illusions flooring
Canadian price for 2500 sq/ft through my contractor - $4.89
US price that I negotiated in Massena - $3.59 US

Someone might say - "But Sean what about those border fee's?"

It is an extra 3% since (flooring product made in China, sold in the USA)

For curiosity sake - I priced Kitchen Cupboards at Home Depot

33% off to buy the same exact product in Massena as compared to Ottawa.