Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Python question

Started by martin_jones, July 09, 2008, 11:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin_jones

I am thinking about getting a python to aid with water changes. However, my main aquarium is downstairs (in the basement) and the only tap (faucet?) in the house which could attach to the python is on the ground floor.

Would the python be able to syphon the water upstairs? It'd be the 75ft or 100ft python.

Failing that, can the python connect to any taps? I've been told that the python screws onto the tap. However, the only taps I have downstairs are the one on the bath and the one on the sink - neither have a thread which could attach to the python.

Are there other fittings which can connect it to any tap?

Martin

With fronds like these, who needs anemones?

RossW

I use this and it works very well.  I do not like the flow out of the quick connect, but only put it every couple weeks when I need to.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=20351.msg145172#msg145172

zima

You won't be able to syphon water upstairs without a engine-assisted python, that much I remember from highschool physics  ;D.

Are you sure you cannot take off the end of the tap (I can screw mine off)? If you are able to do it and you see a thread, then Preston Hardware (248 Preston Street) will sell you pretty much any adapter (from tap to python).

If there is nothing you can screw off, then I remember seeing somewhere about a universal adapter that fits all taps (might even be MOPS.CA that stocks them - check their website. A group order is coming up - you can get your python and adapter for less $$)!

presto

The Python should work since it uses the suction from your tap to pull the water out, just make sure to open the tap all the way!

I know there are attachments for taps with the thread on the inside as apposed to the standard outside thread on most taps.

If you just buy the valve for the tap, I think a garden hose will fit nicely and not cost you $100.

Google " garden hose with python " for examples.

zima

Quote from: presto on July 09, 2008, 12:24:02 PM
The Python should work since it uses the suction from your tap to pull the water out, just make sure to open the tap all the way!

See, I thought that the reason we are able to use pythons is because the tap it connects to is at the same height or higher than the tank (same principle the syphons work; or same principle for transferring gas from gas tank to a canister). I suppose if you assist the water flow from your tank into a sink [that is higher than the tank] with tap water pressure, it could work. But then wouldn't it be a huge waste of water, especially if you open the tap all the way?

martin_jones

None of the adapters seem as if they would fit on my taps. I may just get a long (drinking water-type) hose and syphon into the sump pump in the basement. Then, take the hose upstairs and attach to the tap with the screw fitting and refill from there.

Bit more hassle, but certainly less than lugging 8 5gallon buckets around every weekend :)

Thanks for the info. I will investigate the DIY python approach.

Martin

presto

It is definitely a waste of water(and expensive) to open the taps fully, but it works and I have too to reach my second fish room.

I've seen diagrams of using an electric pump to push the water, it could be a good alternative if willing to build it.

apuppet

ignore me if this doesnt help.  but my large tank is also in the basement, but i've a drain pipe on the floor, which ive used. perhaps you can send your waste water out that way.  i find that the phyton was too expensive for whats its worth, so i've made my own  with a garden hose and a florencent tube protector. works great.
planted

dan2x38

You could use a small QuiteOne pump like the 1200 - 3000 models depending on the distance to move the water. They are tough little pumps and powerful I have the 1200. Used it for a long time until I changed my WC routine. Can also use a pond pump to move the water upstairs. As for downstairs that is no issue gravity does all that work... :) OH I think the QuiteOne (Pentair) sells for around $40 or less. It is submersible or out of water inline. There is a groups MOPS order by Anton check to see what they have.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

martin_jones

Quote from: presto on July 09, 2008, 04:55:14 PM
I've seen diagrams of using an electric pump to push the water, it could be a good alternative if willing to build it.

OK. So I've made my own python - almost 100 foot long for about $40 @ Preston Hardware. However, the water flow is very slow. Can you provide more details of what to use to pump the water out a little more quickly.

Thanks

Martin

presto

use a maxijet to suck the water out and into your sink.