Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cool =D

Started by aidensmomma2000, February 11, 2004, 11:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidensmomma2000

My angelfish just laid eggs  :D What do I do!?!

dpatte

i would leave them in the tank as they are at least the first few times to watch the process. if you are lucky they may be able to raise them in the tank - which is by far the best way all around.

If it doesnt work after a few tries, then go the artificial incubation direction.

they should breed ever 4 weeks now as long as conditions remain the same.

dpatte

also, dont forget that they are new parents - it may take them 2-3 tries to get it right.

aidensmomma2000

Oh dear- I read online ot take them out! I put in 2 airators and removed mum and dad...should I put them back in!?

dpatte

well, you now have a labour intensive job in fron of you. It is unlikely that the eggs will survive without the arents due to fungus so you have to work to prevent that.

this then becomes a big job. i have seen people remove the eggs, but never the parents.

but i think its too late to put them back.

dpatte

There are two major problems with angelfish

1) the eggs are extremely sensitive to fungus.. I used to remove the eggs into a pitch-black bottle and treat with 10x the recommended metelene blue to prevent fungus and would then get 95% hatch rates. This concentration of metelene blue cannot be done in a tank without destroying the tank and its contents - it dyes everything blue - and alot of it permanently.

2) angelfish are extremely inbred and at very stages of their development after hatching percentages will die due genetic abnormalities. They must be removed immediately or the water will become polluted and kill off the rest.

Angelfish are very bright - they can usually take care of their young if given 2-3 tries at it. They are also very interesting to watch. The pick off the fungused egss themselves to protect the batch, and then cull the weak young from the strong.

But if you have removed them, i wouldnt put them back until the eggs have hatched or are gone (if they are fungussed they will turn white), as they have probably been quite upset by the move and would eat the eggs if returned with them.

Natures seems to tell them that if the eggs wont make it, they shoud consume them to rebuild their strength for a later batch at a later date.

aidensmomma2000

some of the egga are already turning white. Damnit. I treated the tank for fungus...maybe I will put the parents back in and let them eat the eggs and start over, if theyre getting fungus anyways.

aidensmomma2000

I put mom and dad back in and ofcourse they are all the eggs, which is fine since they were fungusy anyways. I'll just wait another few weeks for a 2nd try and leave mom & dad in! :roll:

dpatte

I would give them 2-3 real attempts. If thats doesnt work, i can describe the process i used to rear them apart - which as I said, is labour intensive.

aidensmomma2000

Mum *was* fanning them, but the first website I read said to take them out ASAP so I did! Serves me right for not looking at more then one webpage though... :cry: