Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Photographic presentation at our Sept. meeting - updated

Started by charlie, July 14, 2008, 12:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Hello fellow OVAS members, I'm pleased to inform you , that  at our first meeting on Sept. 22nd, we will be having our very own Rockgarden presenting a few tricks & knowledge on photography & the hobby. Details will be announced at the end of August.Hope to see you all there.
Regards
Updated.

Who is Rockgarden, well he is an avid hobbyist in both  aquatic & photography, Ron has been involved in both hobbies for some 50 yrs in aquatics & 40+ yrs in photography acquiring his first SLR camera in around 1968

He was responsible for starting the Lizard Aquarium Club in Fort Garry, Manitoba (Fort Garry now amalgamated into Greater Winnipeg),he bred & supplied mainly Zebra Danios & Bettas to local fish stores to support his hobby, in the 70`s he served as Program Director for the Regina aquarium Society for one year, he later moved & settled in Ottawa where he became a member of OVAS ,he  helps out with bits and pieces from time to time and provides advice and guidance on low tech SW aquariums and photography matters ( such as on Sept.22nd.) Over the past few years he has reduced number of active aquariums he keeps down to one 90 gallon reef and one 65 gallon FW mixed,.

At present he is retired and out wandering the trails photographing wildlife as much as possible, you can catch a glimpse of his work at the following link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjhayphotography/.
Thanks Ron, the members are sure in for a treat.

zima

Now I'm certainly looking forward to this one!

RoxyDog

Yay!  Ron has taken some wonderful shots, he certainly knows a thing or two.  :)  And he's a good talker too.  ;)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Vizerdrix

Thanks Errol!  And thanks Ron!

I'm looking forward to the presentation, should be informative and fun! :)

rockgarden

Roxy:  Those better be compliments or else I introduce you to my swampland friends :D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjhayphotography/2667668292/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjhayphotography/2670540261/

busdriver

I might even re-up my membership just to attend the Photographic Presentation.
Yeah, I know, I don't have to be a member, but it will help.
And besides, I might even meet someone I know, there.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

RoxyDog

Quote from: rockgarden on July 15, 2008, 04:54:21 PM
Roxy:  Those better be compliments or else I introduce you to my swampland friends :D.

Hehe, always Ron.  :)  I look forward to more great pics!

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

charlie

charlie

Quote from: charlie on July 14, 2008, 12:56:13 PM
Hello fellow OVAS members, I'm pleased to inform you , that  at our first meeting on Sept. 22nd, we will be having our very own Rockgarden presenting a few tricks & knowledge on photography & the hobby. Details will be announced at the end of August.Hope to see you all there.
Regards
Updated.

Who is Rockgarden, well he is an avid hobbyist in both  aquatic & photography, Ron has been involved in both hobbies for some 50 yrs in aquatics & 40+ yrs in photography acquiring his first SLR camera in around 1968

He was responsible for starting the Lizard Aquarium Club in Fort Garry, Manitoba (Fort Garry now amalgamated into Greater Winnipeg),he bred & supplied mainly Zebra Danios & Bettas to local fish stores to support his hobby, in the 70`s he served as Program Director for the Regina aquarium Society for one year, he later moved & settled in Ottawa where he became a member of OVAS ,he  helps out with bits and pieces from time to time and provides advice and guidance on low tech SW aquariums and photography matters ( such as on Sept.22nd.) Over the past few years he has reduced number of active aquariums he keeps down to one 90 gallon reef and one 65 gallon FW mixed,.

At present he is retired and out wandering the trails photographing wildlife as much as possible, you can catch a glimpse of his work at the following link

Well folks , just 2 more Mondays & we will all be quite capable of posting fantastic pictures in the monthly photo contest  :).

KLKelly

I'm looking forward to it too.  I wish I knew how to use my camera better - I have no clue on things like shutter speed etc.

I loved his photo's - especially the birds and animals.

Nyx

Hubby and I are attending as well, for the first time. We're really looking forward to it. :)
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

gonzobluefuzz

I'm supposed to be at work for 6:00 pm :( , but could possibly get a co-worker to cover me for a couple hrs. I'd need to skip out before the auction but at least I could catch the presentation and renew my membership ( I had a case of cerebral flatulence with respect to the membership drive and was roaming the walmart parking lot on Sunday.....seems I missed ya'll by a day :-[) . 

How long is the talk expected to last? Would the pre-auction break at 8:30 be a reasonable estimate?

Curious,

G

charlie

Quote from: gonzobluefuzz on September 19, 2008, 09:56:36 AM
I'm supposed to be at work for 6:00 pm :( , but could possibly get a co-worker to cover me for a couple hrs. I'd need to skip out before the auction but at least I could catch the presentation and renew my membership ( I had a case of cerebral flatulence with respect to the membership drive and was roaming the walmart parking lot on Sunday.....seems I missed ya'll by a day :-[) . 

How long is the talk expected to last? Would the pre-auction break at 8:30 be a reasonable estimate?

Curious,

G
That sounds like a good plan , except you will miss all the deals  ;), would be great to have you there , the presentation should be well wrapped up by 8.30, see you on Mon.

charlie

Quote from: charlie on July 14, 2008, 12:56:13 PM
Regards
Updated.

See you all tomorrow

tim_s

So I am interested in going to the meeting.
But I don't own a camera.  Will other items be discussed other then the camera demonstration and the mini auction?

Anja

250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

RoxyDog

Quote from: tim_s on September 21, 2008, 11:48:38 AM
So I am interested in going to the meeting.
But I don't own a camera.  Will other items be discussed other then the camera demonstration and the mini auction?

You could learn anyway and Ron is quite entertaining.  :)

Or you could come and just hang with the rest of us fishy folk.   8)

bitterman

Ron is very entertaining and if anything its worth going to see the big $$$$ lens's he has drool!!!  Just a few tips can save a lot of frustration when trying to get a shot and Ron takes many AMAZING photos!!!!

I'm looking forward to the entertaining exhibition we are going to see tonight and the good company and conversation also.

Bruce

busdriver

Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

bitterman

It was an amazing presention.. I was suprised what Ron crammed into the presentation and how simple he made it seam.

Ron, My hats off to you!

Thanks,
   Bruce