Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Recycling lightbulbs?

Started by Anja, August 07, 2008, 02:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anja

I'm due for my first light bulb change (T8) and was wondering what y'all do with your discarded fluorescent bulbs? Do you take them somewhere for recycling? Do stores (Big Als?) take them back? Do you use them for anything else? Please share.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

BigDaddy

They are hazardous waste and have to be returned at the special city collection centers.  Most people just throw them in the trash, but really they are supposed to be disposed of differently.

zima

I am curious as to what people have to say about this as well. Does anyone know of the specifics of collection centers?

dan2x38

I have a batch used ones but can't see why I'd through out a working tube. They are rated for 10,000 hrs. Thought folks with gold fish or African tanks would be interested in them?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Tsukiyomi-sakura

I think it's the same thing for cirtain electronics, But I know for a fact not to bring them to big al's I worked there for the x-mas rush and they just crack the bulbs on the ground outside and dump out the mercury onto the ground.  :'( :P

Anja

Yup, I know they're hazardous waste; that's why I'm asking. Too bad about Big Al's, they're the closest. But i guess I'd better buy my light bulbs someplace else then.

Any of the other store take them back? Responsibly, I mean?

I just checked the cities website, they only request the bulbs be put in the original package or wrapped against breakage. The Take-it-back site they mention is in the east end, that's not really an option. (I wonder what they'll do with all the CFLs they're pushing people to use, when those come back to haunt them.)

Are there only 4 people on the forum using fluorescent bulbs, or does everybody else just throw them in the trash? Or did I post this in the wrong forum?
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

BigDaddy

Well I'm on the QC side, so can't help ya there....

Agnate

I only started this hobby about 10 months ago, so I don't really have a lot of bulbs to throw out yet.  I've kept the bulbs that still "work", but just aren't useful for growing plants.

Our house mostly just throws them out, except that now I plan to find a way to recycle/dispose of them properly, but I believe Home Depot or Rona (can't remember which) was supposed to start taking old/dead bulbs.

If you find anything, be sure to post it up (as I'm also in the West end).

:)

Anja

Home depot takes back cfls, but I don't think this extends to the normal fluorescents (or aquarium lights they don't even sell). One can always ask, of course.

From what I found there's a waste facility south of Fallowfield that takes household quantities of hazardous waste on a handful of days a year. The next one's in November (earlier for the south and east). Here's the link for those of you who are interested:

http://www.ottawa.ca/city_services/recycling_garbage/hhw/index_en.html

presto

I've dropped off old cans of various toxins there before. They should take CFL's.

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Also, I herd if you leave the bulb alone for a few years the mercury decomposes down to almost nothing, I'm Not 100% sure if it's true, If it is we should get a shed to store a bunch in a keep track of how old they are.

Be green!

Agnate

Does it decompose, or does it leech into something else?  I also didn't know there was mercury inside of fluorescent tubes, though!

Dorrie

Quote from: Tsukiyomi-sakura on August 12, 2008, 01:48:30 AMAlso, I herd if you leave the bulb alone for a few years the mercury decomposes down to almost nothing, I'm Not 100% sure if it's true, If it is we should get a shed to store a bunch in a keep track of how old they are.Be green!
I'm really not sure that's true, because the bulb is airtight, and the mercury is in vapor form.
Check these links out for how fluorescent and CFL bulbs works, and where to dispose of them.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/home_journal_news/4217864.html
http://www.p2pays.org/mercury/lights.asp