Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

PO4 how much & when?

Started by dan2x38, August 08, 2008, 05:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

After reading Charlie's post about the Good Plant Read I have some questions about PO4. I was always of the thinking to much NO3/PO4 was BAD! But Charlie & BigDaddy sold me awhile ago. I just got over a black-out for some algae starting to take hold. It is now back to lights on. I am still using DIY CO2 but have a pressurized system on the way.

Charlie you said to slowly start adding dry ferts back: weeks 1 & 2 once a week macro/micro, weeks 3 & 4 twice a week macro/micro, and then full dosing weeks 5 & 6 three times a week. I am going to do that after my WC. OK so how much PO4? When? Add additional PO4 on top of EI dosing method? Phosphates scare me... Charlie I added the 3rd bottle like you said too. CO2 is producing well keeping a constant eye on it. Plants have been pruned back. Right now just been adding Excel nothing else yet.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 08, 2008, 05:59:50 PM
After reading Charlie's post about the Good Plant Read I have some questions about PO4. I was always of the thinking to much NO3/PO4 was BAD! But Charlie & BigDaddy sold me awhile ago. I just got over a black-out for some algae starting to take hold. It is now back to lights on. I am still using DIY CO2 but have a pressurized system on the way.

Charlie you said to slowly start adding dry ferts back: weeks 1 & 2 once a week macro/micro, weeks 3 & 4 twice a week macro/micro, and then full dosing weeks 5 & 6 three times a week. I am going to do that after my WC. OK so how much PO4? When? Add additional PO4 on top of EI dosing method? Phosphates scare me... Charlie I added the 3rd bottle like you said too. CO2 is producing well keeping a constant eye on it. Plants have been pruned back. Right now just been adding Excel nothing else yet.
I personally woud not dose the tank for a week ,but others may suggest differently.
If you are going to adopt/worship  :D the EI way of dosing , then your question is answered in the dosing table of EI. If you are going to dose like before once or twice a week, well you will have to keep monitoring with a accurate test kit , so you can tell when the phosphate & Nitrates are low.

dan2x38

BUT what about additional PO4 like the article Tom Barr wrote in the thread you posted? Do I add extra PO4 along with regular EI dosing?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Quote from: dan2x38 on August 08, 2008, 06:57:36 PM
BUT what about additional PO4 like the article Tom Barr wrote in the thread you posted? Do I add extra PO4 along with regular EI dosing?
Dan , i think you need to go back & read what Tom wrote, i suspect you are referring to the thread where he was pointing out that if you want to prove the myth that Phosphate causes algae was wrong as was popularised by the Sears & Conlin paper. In short doses as recommended by the EI table is a adequate reference point, if you checked out the EI recommendations you will notice there is +/- to every dose , which suggest you can increase or decrease as your tank requires , it`s not hard & fast.
Hope this helps
http://www.barrreport.com/articles/42-ei-light-those-less-techy-folks.html