Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help Eheim Woes -- Classic2215 canister filter

Started by rnish, August 21, 2008, 08:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnish

My Eheim Classic2215 filter I purchased new, a year ago for my 77gal community tank is giving me trouble.  >:( I have not been happy with it and I have been losing fish frequently in the tank even though it is not crowded and I thougt  well filtrated. :(  I also run a small Submersible fluval filter in the tank and it is constantly gunked up.  I have always thought the Eheim flow rate was pathetic compared to my HOB filters or my fluval canisters.  I spent lots of time trying to figure out what could be wrong but so far no luck.  I measured the output from the filter today after cleaning and reassembling the filter and it is only 180 l/hr  (45 gal/hr)  The web site says this filter should have an output of 620 l/hr.  Mine is definitely not doing its job and I don't think it ever has...
Any suggestions?
Help :-[ would be appreciated I am about to throw this filter out! It is such a disappointment after I researched and bought what everyone recommended as the best filter...
Jade
ps those that helped with my Fluvals thanks again  i just keep having filter problems

Agnate

I've heard of a couple things, like removing the spray bar, and making sure it is completely primed.  I'd have to agree, though; they don't seem to push a lot of water.  *Shrug*  Not sure what else to say.  :(

BigDaddy

Is it noisy or dead silent?

Are you using all sponges, or the stone media?

Eheim filters aren't about flow.  They are about reliability and excellent biofiltration.

Are you measuring ammonia or nitrite?  If not, then you can't blame the filter.

What kind of cleaning schedule do you maintain with it?

dan2x38

Actually to much flow is not good for a bio-filter. You need some dwell time for the bacteria to do their conversion. How did you measure the output rate?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

rnish

After some difficulty priming with frequent shakes for several hours it runs dead quiet.  I use the round cylinder media and the bio rocks with 1 sponge and occassionally some floss.  I measured the out put by holding the output over a 1 liter waterbottle in the tank it took 20 seconds to fill.  I change my water and vacuum the gravel almost weekly because my cichlids in my other tanks love it and it is part of my routine.  The tank has cycled x  one year and the ammonia is zero, nitrites are fine, the ph usually 7 though it took a nose dive when I added a DIY Co2 recently.  I just got a used HOT marineland filter the other day for my dad's retirement home and I put it on the tank to keep its media active.  the next morning my fish were much more active just as they are after a water change.
I am sad because all my apistos from ovas died and some of my cardinals...  They just go gradually with no symptoms except rapid breathing.  make me want to stick to cichlids they are much more robust.

How do you put the media in?  i put in the coarse sponge then a mix of the rock and cylinders ( they accidently got mixed and I can't unmix them)and top it with floss. It never seems to get very dirty except the floss of course
Thanks Guys all input and questions appreciated
Jade

Toss

Sorry to hear that you have a bad experience with Eheim. I have one running in 20 gal full of swordtails and 4 plecos. I fill bottom part with bio-media (coarse), one blue sponge and top it off with fine bio-media. I forgot when the last time I clean it :). It could be sometimes before last Xmas. I had 2213 running 15gal shrimp tank a while back. After I set it up, I had never cleaned it until I took down the whole thing. I think it was close to 18 months. I think it depends on many variable to get a good result. In those two examples above, I positioned the filter almost the same height as the tank. I also never have any problem priming it. If you have the quick release, use it to get rid of the air pocket before you start the filter.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS