Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pogostemon helferi - melting

Started by fischkopp, August 24, 2008, 09:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fischkopp

I had two plants melting a couple of days ago, today I see another one. Only single plantlets are affected, all surronding ones do fine - at least looks like it to me.

The only thing I have changed is doubling CaSO4 and MgSO4 - total hardness should be an estimated 4° right now.

Has anybody seen that before? Its totally new to me ...
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

Did you check your pH? If it as crashed or very low could be the cause.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

fischkopp

Havent measured for months :P but it doesnt hurt to take a look: pH is 5.6 - lower than I thought :)
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

dan2x38

Quote from: fischkopp on August 24, 2008, 10:15:30 PM
Havent measured for months :P but it doesnt hurt to take a look: pH is 5.6 - lower than I thought :)
In one tank my pH crashed - helferi I got from you did not melt but is broke all apart... :( I blamed the pH it was below 5.5 - the recommended pH is closer to 7

cheers,
Dan
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on August 24, 2008, 09:03:20 PM
I had two plants melting a couple of days ago, today I see another one. Only single plantlets are affected, all surronding ones do fine - at least looks like it to me.

The only thing I have changed is doubling CaSO4 and MgSO4 - total hardness should be an estimated 4° right now.

Has anybody seen that before? Its totally new to me ...
Did you ever unearth what caused it to melt??, i`m curious, i once had a fair amount of Helferi floating in a 20 gallon tank ( Jeff 1192 got some from it), a few weeks later i did not beleive my eyes there was none, nada & all the other plants were fine.

BTW  Helferi just thrives in my 75 Gallon that runs @ a PH of 5.5 ( Jeff1192 can attest to it, he saw it a few days ago)  :D

Jeff1192

Quote from: charlie on September 05, 2008, 10:21:54 PM
Did you ever unearth what caused it to melt??, i`m curious, i once had a fair amount of Helferi floating in a 20 gallon tank ( Jeff 1192 got some from it), a few weeks later i did not beleive my eyes there was none, nada & all the other plants were fine.

BTW  Helferi just thrives in my 75 Gallon that runs @ a PH of 5.5 ( Jeff1192 can attest to it, he saw it a few days ago)  :D

Oh yeah....I was all proud about how well my helferi did prior to my CO2. It probably doubled in 4 or 5 months. Then I went to Charlie's.....I didn't feel so proud anymore....his is out of control!   :D

Mine is in my 90 at a pH of about 8.1 before CO2 and now it's at a pH of 7.1. So far it's doing very well.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

fischkopp

No, I have no idea what caused it. I had maybe 4-5 plantlets that disappeared within 1-2 days - all branches melted. Surrounding plantlets were/are ok and have filled in the gap by now :)

Maybe it had to do with that the CO2 was almost empty. Not sure if there could have been other things in the bottle. Honestly, I have no idea, but I doubt it has anything to do with low pH levels.
my fish suck

fischkopp

Addon - I did some digging in the www: Possible reason for melting pogostemon are low kH, low macros and sudden changes (especially water hardness). Since I was 'playing' magnesium and calcium sulfate at that time I would say that this caused the partial meltdown.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/general-aquarium-plants-discussions/3110-pogostemon-helferi-also-known-downoi.html?highlight=POGOSTEMON+melting
my fish suck

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on September 06, 2008, 01:05:05 AM
Addon - I did some digging in the www: Possible reason for melting pogostemon are low kH, low macros and sudden changes (especially water hardness). Since I was 'playing' magnesium and calcium sulfate at that time I would say that this caused the partial meltdown.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/general-aquarium-plants-discussions/3110-pogostemon-helferi-also-known-downoi.html?highlight=POGOSTEMON+melting

Thanks for the link , of all the possible explainations  in the thread, i would have to guess changes from one tank to another for mine melting.
In my 75 , it does well in low Kh ( almost none) & acidic water(PH 5.5).