Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pressurized CO2 finally up and running

Started by Jeff1192, August 30, 2008, 11:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

Well....I finally took the plunge.....AND found time to get things up and running. I had it all ready to go this morning and then realized that one of the hoses on my canister filter was about an inch short....very frustrating. So I put everything back the way it was (which meant disconnecting my newly almost connected Aqua Medic 1000 reactor) what a pain in the butt. Tonight I finally got it all together. I set my bubble-counter at about 4 bubbles per minute for now. I figured from what I've read on the forums hear lately it might be a little low for my 90 gallon but I'll see what it does and adjust from there.

The only problem now is that I noticed that my timer that I was going to use is only a 2 prong receptacle and my solonoid is a 3 prong plug....oh well I'll pick up a new timer tomorrow.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Toss

"4 bubbles per minute" or you meant 4 bubbles per sec? If you worry, at least set it up one bubble per sec for now. 4 bubbles per minute doesn't really do anything :).
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

BigDaddy

The Canadian Tire digital timers usually go on sale fairly often for $19.

If you wanna wait until the next sale, I can loan you one of mine since I haven't gotten my fishroom setup yet after the move.

dan2x38

Walmart has a timer power bar digital strip with 4 timed 2 not $15.99 all grounded outlets. You can return stuff to Walmart with receipt & packaging within 90 days.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Jeff1192

Quote from: Toss on August 31, 2008, 09:43:34 AM
"4 bubbles per minute" or you meant 4 bubbles per sec? If you worry, at least set it up one bubble per sec for now. 4 bubbles per minute doesn't really do anything :).

Sorry yes I meant per second....it actually seems to be almost dead on the right amount for my tank. It's been running all morning and with a KH of 11 I was aiming for a pH of 7.2 and I'm at 7.35 right now.

Quote from: BigDaddy on August 31, 2008, 10:17:07 AM
The Canadian Tire digital timers usually go on sale fairly often for $19.

If you wanna wait until the next sale, I can loan you one of mine since I haven't gotten my fishroom setup yet after the move.

Thanks for the offer but I had a Home Depot gift card and they had an 8 plug power bar and digital timer combo for $15. Great deal for anyone who is looking for that sort of thing.

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

dan2x38

Quote from: Jeff1192 on August 31, 2008, 02:27:07 PM
Thanks for the offer but I had a Home Depot gift card and they had an 8 plug power bar and digital timer combo for $15. Great deal for anyone who is looking for that sort of thing.

Jeff

Off topic? Jeff are you able set seperate times on the timed slots?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Jeff1192

Too bad but no....4 of the plugs work with the timer all on the same on/off schedule and 4 are always on.

Jeff

- George Orwell

Jeff1192

So after a couple of days with my CO2 up and running I have a question. My Kh is 11 so my target pH is 7.2. I have had the CO2 running at about 4.2 bubbles per second for 2 days now and my pH was hitting 7.24. By the next morning it was about 7.8 or so. This morning once the CO2 had been on for a while my pH is not dropping below 7.45. I am wondering if it's  because my plants were coming out of a blackout so they took a while to really start using the CO2 and now that it has been a few days they're using up more? If this is the case I figure I just need to increase my bubble count and I should be able to get the pH back to 7.2ish.

Thanks,

Jeff

- George Orwell

BigDaddy

Your CO2 should always drop if you are injecting 4 bubbles per second.

Check for leaks and/or lower surface agitation to prevent outgassing.

If your target pH is 7.2, you should be at that value before lights on.  Start your CO2 earlier than you currently are setup for.

Jeff1192

How about the fact that I'm not dropping down to 7.2 today like I did on the other days? Should I increase the bubble count?

Thanks,

Jeff

- George Orwell

charlie

Quote from: Jeff1192 on September 02, 2008, 01:23:02 PM
How about the fact that I'm not dropping down to 7.2 today like I did on the other days? Should I increase the bubble count?

Thanks,

Jeff
Is your bubble count still consistent @ 4.2 ?

Jeff1192

- George Orwell

charlie

Quote from: Jeff1192 on September 02, 2008, 01:29:18 PM
Yes it is.
Check for leaks like BD suggested & if all is well tweak your bubble count.

My advice is to use the KH/PH table as a reference point only ,there are a lot of variables that will render that table ( KH/PH) inaccurate, as was suggested in other threads the 1 point PH drop over night is probably more reliable but also has it`s  faults.