Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Reducing your carbon finprint- feature presentation @ the Oct.27th meeting

Started by charlie, September 23, 2008, 05:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Hi Ovasers, we are pleased to announce our feature presentation for our next meeting on October 27th 2008 @ 7.00 PM ( Jack Purcell centre)

The speaker will be -
Gary Elson

The topic will be -
"Reducing your carbon finprint - small fish for unheated aquariums."

Who is Gary Elson

Gary Elson has kept fish since he was eight years old, and specializes in small species. From 1998 until 2005, he was a columnist and later contributing editor to Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine, where he wrote the column Through a Small Window. He has published articles in Aquarium Fish Magazine, FAMA, and a variety of European and Asian magazines. Along with Oliver Lucanus, he has also written three books in the Barron's Educational Series. He has spoken at aquarium clubs and conventions in both Canada and the USA.
He lives in Montreal with his wife and two daughters, where he makes his living as a high school teacher. He participates in the OVAS forums under the very unoriginal name of Montrealguy.
Regards Program Director

See you on the 27th of October @7.00PM
Jack Purcell centre

dan2x38

Folks don't miss this presenation this guy is amazing... and he will have some great stuff for the auction too... :) He has a lot of rare and endangered stuff.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Anja

This is brilliant. I'm just about to set up a small unheated tank. I guess I better be there.  :D
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

charlie

Well today is the day  ;), hope to see all you fish loving folks this evening , apart from our feature speaker, some of the folks will be in the festive haloween mood showing off their original costumes, plus our mini auction where you are sure to find a deal, all interested parties will also have the opportunity to purchase a club membership.

Please remember it`s not about what type of aquarium you keep, it`s about coming out & meeting folks that share the same passion & sharing your experiences one on one, to use the hockey analogy, people are fans of different hockey teams for one reason or another, but they all get together to talk hockey.

bitterman

Is anyone planning to go out for supper prior to the meeting near JP?

Bruce

Vizerdrix

No Bruce, Gary can't make it in until after 6 pm because of work so he'll be eating on the fly, as they say.

petfisheric

Hi everyone,

Incidentally, Gary is the guy who generously donated that load of killies a while back that some of you came to my place to pick up...his fish room was pretty amazing!

Looking forward to the presentation tonight,
Eric

charlie

Quote from: charlie on October 27, 2008, 08:53:50 AM
Well today is the day  ;), hope to see all you fish loving folks this evening , apart from our feature speaker, some of the folks will be in the festive haloween mood showing off their original costumes, plus our mini auction where you are sure to find a deal, all interested parties will also have the opportunity to purchase a club membership.

Please remember it`s not about what type of aquarium you keep, it`s about coming out & meeting folks that share the same passion & sharing your experiences one on one, to use the hockey analogy, people are fans of different hockey teams for one reason or another, but they all get together to talk hockey.
last chance  ;), come out & join the fun

DiSkO

i wish i had another tank set up ready to take some of those kellies home...they look like amazing fish!

bitterman

It was an excellent and entertaining presentation. My 3 year old son even called me at work this morning to thank me for the batch of 6 live bearers I purchased from the auction that Gary brought as a donation. The other ones looked interesting but were extincted so I did not want to risk them in a 3 year olds tank.

I might just try a killie tank in the basement.

Bruce

Vizerdrix

Thanks again Gary for a super presentation that was both fun and informative!  I enjoyed it a lot!

Anja

I'm so glad I could make it. Interesting talk, great speaker. I have lots of new ideas now, and lots of new pointers to read up on. Merci ben gros.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

charlie

some pics from the meeting

[attachment deleted by admin]

charlie

And some more

[attachment deleted by admin]

charlie

I would like to thank Gary aka Montrealguy on our forum , for making the trek to our meeting & delivering a fantastic presentation, from all accounts we had about 80 folks in attendance who enjoyed the presentation, along with getting to know each other. Some lucky club members walked away with some nice door prizes which included a Marineland Emperor filter , also the haloween costumes sure made their impact, some great cookies & refreshments & a great auction which included a nano marine tank complete & some rare & interesting cool water fish , compliments of Montrealguy, along with our usual staple of plants , & accessories( UV filter lights etc.)
Hope to see more of you out at our next meeting
P.S.
OVAS history was made when one member won the bid on his own bag of plants he brought to the auction  ;D

washefuzzy

Gary throughly enjoyed the presentation. I wanted a bag  of fish you brought but it was hard to outbid anybody with the $2 I brought.  ;D
I do have the some rare playties that you donated before for free so I'm still happy.

Thanks Charlie for the excellent photosthough a couple are awfully scary.  :o

Vizerdrix

You're going to have nightmares of my costume aren't you Joyce?  ;D

Montrealguy

Wait a minute.. hallowe'en? Costumes? Oh, now I get it. I'm going to have to cancel my e-mail to "What not to Wear".

I was a little bit worried about OVAS.  :o

washefuzzy

washefuzzy

Quote from: Montrealguy on October 28, 2008, 06:53:05 PM
Wait a minute.. hallowe'en? Costumes? Oh, now I get it. I'm going to have to cancel my e-mail to "What not to Wear".

I was a little bit worried about OVAS.  :o

Even without the costumes I'ld worry about us anyways!  ;D