Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hookup's build.

Started by Hookup, September 29, 2008, 08:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

I this is simply awesome!, but why not keep the existing tank? and add the 6' tank also? They can run off the same sump setup in the basement?

Or is it a space concern?

Why only 6'? If this is your last tank over, why not go bigger  ::)  Or is that as big as will fit? Could you go with wider also?

This new take thread it going to be wild to watch!!!!!  8)

Bruce

mikerobart

I was going to ask where the bigger tank was ! That sump setup is pretty awesome, and looks like it could support a very large system indeed.

Nice tank btw, looks like a very nice mixed reef, sort of what I am going for with my 90g.

JD

Quote from: Hookup on August 10, 2009, 08:52:15 AM
Right now, I'd guess at least 4x the air...  Silly thing isn't rated (Rena Air 400 Pump)...

I'm looking into Pond Pumps now... $150 of frigg'n ouch...

Here is a link with the specs for that pump.
http://www.planetrena.com/aquarium-air-pumps.html
looks like 2 x 133 L/hr @ max 4.5 psi

QueensU

Your display with custom walls and cabinet looks great.. but your sump room is something else! Great planning and execution on your part! Can't wait to see more!

JD

I find 30" height of my 220 a bit much and the depth, 24", of the 180 a bit too small. A tank that was 72 long 24 high and 30 or 36 deep (front to back) would be really nice. Maybe the next one...

jimskoi

I just sold a 72"x36"x24" tank and its the best looking size tank I have ever installed.Size does matter.lol.

Snider82

OMG! i just read this thread from start to finish!  VERY impressive...  and thats an understatment.  your are a hero! :) 

Seriosly,  i wish i had the space / income (oops we dont talk that here)  to build a magnifisent system like that.   i wonder if i should start saving now for your old tank setup :p 

you have given me soo many ideas, and have inspired me.  i have  alot'ta alphabets to read, but some day.. *looks to the stars* some day i will build "real" salt water tank ;) 

Very nice work Hookup!  Congrats!

Hookup

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.  Honestly, the system,to me, isn't as impressive as it should and/or could be.  I've got such a long, long way to go espically with colors and growth... but stability and time are the key.

The reason for the 72x24x24.

72 - longest I can fit into the wall space that is a round number that also matches my lighting solution.

24 - wide.  absolute maximum I can fit without making it look too big for both rooms... I'd love to have a 36" wide because of the aquascaping possiblities... honestly.. that would be a dream tank, 36" wide!  But it just isn't going to happen.  I've already taped out the lines on the floor where the tank would "consume space" and I can comfortably get a 24" wide tank.  I also want to stay "standard here because of the lighting.

24" tall.  I want to run all T5HO's from an 72" ATI 8 bulb Powermodule.  ATI is the only T5 fixture that "looks good" hanging as a pendant, and has active cooling on the bulbs (the Power Module that is)...  It's been proven out that T5's do require active cooling to achieve the color intensity and spectrums that are printed on the sides of the boxes they come in.. :)  Any deeper than 24" and Metal hallides are required IMHO.

Rybren

Of course, you could always DIY a mind-blowing LED light fixture.  You could probably do it for under a grand.  ;D
120G Reef

sniggir

Nice Hookup....yea you had better get out the armour .... if you decide to go bigger... can't wait to see/lend a hand if needed on the new project, should be a master peice for sure.

awsome job...even if you constantly argue over the smaller stuff...way to show ppl how to do it big.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Hookup

Thanks Pat... I'll definately be needing some advise/guidance etc throughout the new build.  I've got some pretty good ideas of what I want to achieve, but getting it done is a completely different animal.  There are just SOOOOO many ways to do things in this hobby, finding the right balance is often difficult and confusing.

salvini55

Man Its gonna be awsome. reading this has me thinking of my next tank and im thinking a salt water hot tub might be in order... Think of the flow!!!!!

White Lightning

WOW! Top Notch! I just read this from beginning to end and needless to say...Impressive! I am almost embarassed to post any pictures of my tank after looking at this. Good job!

Hookup

Thanks... it's got such a long way to go... but I'm pleased enough with my progress so far.