Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hookup's build.

Started by Hookup, September 29, 2008, 08:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groan

Excellent!
Where'd you get your lights? Everything looks great and i'm loving the pics. I cant wait to get a good macro lens. some day.

Hookup

Thanks Groan, I got the lights from OttawaInverts (Pat).

vwpilot

Quote from: groan on January 02, 2009, 09:12:22 AM
Excellent!
Where'd you get your lights? Everything looks great and i'm loving the pics. I cant wait to get a good macro lens. some day.

I think he may be using a Fisheye lens/wide angle

Tsukiyomi-sakura

Hookup

Quote from: vwpilot on January 02, 2009, 10:54:21 AM
I think he may be using a Fisheye lens/wide angle
Naw, it is the cannon 100mm macro lens.  I don't own a fish-eye lens, i have a 10-22 wide-angle and a few others, but no fish-eye.  I do like their effect but it's kind of a toy and an expensive one at that....

damonbrodie

Very nice setup Hookup.  I've been looking at the greatstuff foam idea too.  I think you just tipped me over the edge.  Funny - sounds like you have the same camera stuff as me too.  40D here, 50mm f1.4, 10-22mm, 70-200mm f2.8...  Great minds think alike :-)

One difference in our setups is that I didn't drill through the hardwood floors.  I did a lot of work to build a wall, and then I put my plumbing in that.  I'll post pics in my build thread once I get further along.

Hookup

Excellent!

You have the "good" versions of what I have..'

Canon 20D (2 bodies, wife's and mine)
50mm F1.8 (the $119 version.. love it, want your 1.4, and if i had a million, the 1.2 be nice)
70-200 F4, Non-IS.  You have the kick-ass one.
10-22mm sigma (same.. love it)
100mm macro (LOVE IT)
24-105L F4 IS (well, what can I say... though I would trade for the 18-70L F2.8

I really want to get my hands on the 300mm 2.8 PRIME, but I need both kidneys for a while longer...

I also have a 2x600w light kit, and the sigma flash... Geesh, I should start to take some photos again...

damonbrodie

My wife complains that I have two of the most expensive hobbies - reefkeeping and photography.  What can I say - it's true!

I'd love to have the 300 f2.8 as well.  or maybe the 400...  I'd love to have your macro lens though!  I'll add that to my (ever longer) wish list.

vwpilot

same here, Reef, Photography, Renovations, and vw/audi's 8)

Hookup

Hey all, another update from the salt-saga...  No photos just yet, but hold your breath and count backwards from 100, they are coming...

Last night I got the Vortech pumps installed in the tank.  First, remember that my tank is a 90gal corner bowfront...  I have one pump on each of the "walls" roughly at the same position... with a little fiddling (very easy), i was able to get a good 2-3 inch wave going in the tank, from crest to trough... My stand isn't built for wave action, so I went back to lagoon mode... but man, those things can pump, i'm almost positive I could have gotten it to spill water if I'd increased the flow rates even more... :D

Both pumps on full i get about 6400gal/hr of internal flow.. and yeah, everything is blowing all around like a mini-hurricane in there... I'll do that from time to time just to get any extra detritus off the rocks as I personally think that is good for them... but most times, the system is set at about 40% power, or 2500gph turnover.  In lagoon mode it can peak to 4000ish gph as it is a random flow pattern...

The pumps were VERY easy to install and tune.  Not cheap, but the quality and function is there for sure.  I've heard these are cheaper than the Tunze pump/system which is also nice for those thinking of getting into this style of pump.

If you do not have these pumps, get some... if you do not know what these pumps are, check out youtube for vortech pumps and of course echotec marine/ottawainverts.  I'll post my video of the waves being made in the tank on youtube once I figure out how to do that, and how to get the video off the P&S camera... haha..

redsanurse

Quote from: Hookup on January 02, 2009, 01:55:08 PM
Naw, it is the cannon 100mm macro lens.  I don't own a fish-eye lens, i have a 10-22 wide-angle and a few others, but no fish-eye.  I do like their effect but it's kind of a toy and an expensive one at that....

You mean there is a toy that you don't have yet??? LOL

Hookup

Geesh, now you sound like my wife... and for the record, it only costs $20 bucks!

bitterman

Quote from: Hookup on March 12, 2009, 10:51:58 AM
Geesh, now you sound like my wife... and for the record, it only costs $20 bucks!

Or at least thats what you told the wife  ::)   :-X

Hookup

Exactly!  She did ask how much the vortech's cost... I did answer, "honey, $20 bucks... " with a smile.. that ended the conversation right there...  ;)

bitterman

Quote from: Hookup on March 12, 2009, 11:06:07 AM
Exactly!  She did ask how much the vortech's cost... I did answer, "honey, $20 bucks... " with a smile.. that ended the conversation right there...  ;)

ROFL!!!!!!! vortech's  8) you lucky rich dog!

Bruce

FocusFin

Pretty awesome build, it's making me rethink running my sump from the basement. I won't mention to my wife that I'm planning to drill through the hardwood, I find it's best to act first and discuss later ;)
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Hookup

A note on holes in the hardwood floor.

a) any hole can be covered with a heating duct grate/cover and completely disapear in the futre...  Of course, having 13 or 14 heating ducts in one room will look odd so limit the number of times you drill through the floor
b) asking for permission, or even discussing it afterwords is completely unnecessary.. simply drill the hole, set it up, and deny everything that she asks...
c) Having a sump in the basement is big-time... so much easier on maintenance, if you set it up right... My set is gunna change in the basement... it's HORRIBLE for maintenance... no, wait, it's just HORRIBLE... but it was my first attempt... second one will be better.. and you won't even believe how good the 3rd one will be!!!
d) D is a nice letter... reminds me of Dingo's.

FocusFin

Quote from: Hookup on March 12, 2009, 03:56:25 PM
A note on holes in the hardwood floor.

b) asking for permission, or even discussing it afterwords is completely unnecessary.. simply drill the hole, set it up, and deny everything that she asks...

Your ideas are intriging to me, I wish to subscribe to your newletter ;D

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Hookup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w15wOWcZ7Mo

As promised, the vid on the waves created in the tank from these pumps... I've not fully tuned the pumps for noise and alignment so please ignore the sound.. it's not that loud now.

The pumps were set at about 50% power, so the wave easily could have been sloshing out of the tank if I cranked it up... and no, my stand is NOT reenforced for the lateral stress of a wave so this was just playing around...

xenon

That's the first time I see a wave in a corner style tank. Too cool.

I hear Patrick in the bg.  ;D