Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My first visit to Nature Pet and Big Al's in Pointe-Claire.

Started by Mettle, October 19, 2008, 07:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

SO. I went to the reptile expo in Montreal (Pointe-Claire, really) today with Vizerdrix and had a really good time. Spent WAY WAY WAY too much money on reptiles once again. But another great part of the trip is that Chris took me to see both Nature Pet and Big Al's in Pointe-Claire.

WOW. Both amazing places to see and take a look around at.

They both had some very nice set-ups and tanks and I was thoroughly impressed. I was THIS close to bringing home a toad fish, haha, but then I thought twice about impulse purchasing a fish. (Plus, I'm set up for cresties not fishies, haha.)

Admittedly I haven't been super into fish in a while. But these places may have reawoken the urge.  ::)   

I took some pics with my Blackberry's camera, so they suck, but I'll try and get them posted.

Nerine

Soooooooooooo jealous! I wish I could have gone too! :D

I love those stores!! And of course the expo!!!

Glad you had a great time!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

cora

Quote from: Nerine on October 19, 2008, 08:50:59 PM
Soooooooooooo jealous! I wish I could have gone too! :D

I love those stores!! And of course the expo!!!

Glad you had a great time!
Darn it Nerine, we shouldve gone! LOL who needs to study for mid terms!!

Glad to see you had a good time! hope you got lots of cool reptiles! I'm very jealous! I wouldve loved to have gone. I know what you mean about being set up for reptiles and not fish.. although I have been having the urge to fill the boyfriends tank up with something other than guppies.. wonder what I can get away with ;)

Id love to see your pics.. what did you get at the expo?

Mettle

I grabbed 6 new crested geckos  :o  and my first ever gargoyle gecko who I already absolutely love, haha.

I have a bit of a gecko addiction... But in my defense some of them are babies I've bred. By next year there will be a lot more anyway, haha. At the moment I only have 20 in my personal collection and some of them might be moved out soon to make room for upcoming projects.

I really liked some of the custom tanks at Nature Pet. Really cool stuff there, for sure. They had a great little open top display-style tank with lighting and stand for something like $300 which wasn't too shabby for what it was. Would be great for growing plants up and out of the water as a show tank. And I think Big Al's had some good deals too.

Both stores had AMAZING driftwood pieces. But of course they were sinfully expensive.  :'(

Mettle

OH. And when we were in at Big Al's we heard a little something about a proposed discount day for OVAS members up in Pointe Claire? But I'll let Chris handle that one as she talked to the lady more so than I did... lol.  ;D

cora

Quote from: Mettle on October 19, 2008, 10:46:06 PM
I grabbed 6 new crested geckos  :o  and my first ever gargoyle gecko who I already absolutely love, haha.

I have a bit of a gecko addiction... But in my defense some of them are babies I've bred. By next year there will be a lot more anyway, haha. At the moment I only have 20 in my personal collection and some of them might be moved out soon to make room for upcoming projects.

I really liked some of the custom tanks at Nature Pet. Really cool stuff there, for sure. They had a great little open top display-style tank with lighting and stand for something like $300 which wasn't too shabby for what it was. Would be great for growing plants up and out of the water as a show tank. And I think Big Al's had some good deals too.

Both stores had AMAZING driftwood pieces. But of course they were sinfully expensive.  :'(

Arent Gargoyle Geckos the cutest things?? LOL they are amazing ! LOL and Im not the one to talk to about an addiction to any kind of reptile ;) lol sounds like you got some good deals!

davemaria

just curious, of price ranges at the expo? and not to hyjack or anything but price ranges for bearded dragons?

thanks please post pictures..

Mettle

I actually took no pics at the expo and only a few at the Nature Pet and Big Al's, but I'll try and get them off my phone and post them tomorrow.

As for prices.. it varied. Some good deals though, for sure. As far as the prices of beardies, no sure, as I didn't look at those. As far as I know there were only two beardie vendors in Montreal today. (Mississauga generally has more.) But Vizerdrix would be the one to ask about that as she was the one scoping out the beardies. I stuck mainly to looking at arboreal snakes and Rhacodactylus geckos today.

Vizerdrix

Glad you enjoyed the stores so much Mettle!  ;D  I knew you would, which I why I brought you there.

I got a beautiful school of Mosquitoe Rasboras (about 20 of them) at BA's, for $1 each.  They are great!

It was my first Expo, and sorry if we're getting off the topic of aquariums here, but there were a lot of beautiful critters for sale there!  I was sorely tempted by what are called Moss Frogs.  I guess those would be considered aquarium, or at the least paludarium, critters. ;)

There wasn't much for Bearded Dragons, as Mettle mentioned.  I almost came home with one from Simply Dragons out of Perth, but as I went by another display I was looking at a Uromastyx maliensis (a type of desert lizard) and since it was their last one they offered it to me at $60.  :o  I couldn't resist!

Both the Nature Pet and Big Al's were a treat, as usual.  So many beautiful species!  I highly recommend both shops if you're heading into Montreal, they are both right off the 40 highway, between St-Jean and Des Sources.  I'm not a big fan of Hagen (who owns Nature Pet) for personal reasons, but as Mettle said some of those tanks they have are incredible!  I wish I had the $$$ (and space!) to get one!

Both locations have excellent FW and SW stock, too. 

jenn_zep

i have been to the ba in pointe clair but have yet to find the nature pet. we go looking for it every time we go and can't find it...mind you i am terrible with directions anyway but where is it???!!!???
thanks!

Vizerdrix

The road out back from the BA's is called Brunswick.  You just take that heading east, and I think it's a left turn on Selkirk, if I'm not mistaken.  Just a block or two from St-Jean. :)

crazy 4 fish

Hey Chris what's this about an ovas discount day at BA's ? Wish they would give us a discount like the BAs in ON. I can always use one to help with my addiction :)

Vizerdrix

QuoteHey Chris what's this about an ovas discount day at BA's ?

That was an idea that had been tossed around for a proposed road trip.  Hasn't happened yet, but if it does you can be sure that we'll let you all know! :D

beowulf

Quote from: Vizerdrix on October 23, 2008, 07:00:20 AM
That was an idea that had been tossed around for a proposed road trip.  Hasn't happened yet, but if it does you can be sure that we'll let you all know! :D

And Brent still is wondering what is happening with that.  The group has to be large enough for him to do it.

synodontis

Quote from: jenn_zep on October 22, 2008, 02:49:34 PM
i have been to the ba in pointe clair but have yet to find the nature pet. we go looking for it every time we go and can't find it...mind you i am terrible with directions anyway but where is it???!!!???
thanks!

Check out this website for directions - its in a large strip mall, tucked away in the corner - small entrance, but huge inside

http://www.naturepet.com/locations.htm

beowulf

Quote from: synodontis on October 23, 2008, 10:14:58 AM
Check out this website for directions - its in a large strip mall, tucked away in the corner - small entrance, but huge inside

http://www.naturepet.com/locations.htm

On the front of the mall the entrance is small and in the corner but there is a second entrace at the back which leads right to the fish and has more parking etc.

jenn_zep