Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Building a 90gal Marine tank on a $1500.00 budget.

Started by LowKey, April 29, 2005, 11:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowKey

It all started with an impulsive purchase of a 90Gal tank at Big Al's.  I just couldn't resist!  I actually wanted the 75gal but once I realized the 90 gal was priced the same, I said to myself "$169.00, why not".  Now I look back and say to myself "how naive".  

A little-bit about myself:
I'm no Reef Geek that's for sure. But I've been dabbling with a 50gal marine aquarium for 3 years.  I understood the basics and could keep my inhabitants happy.  At the same time, I cut corners on the system.  But that's how most start out.  I'm not gonna drop $6K at big Al's to find out I don't like saltwater tanks.  But as I carry out this 90 Gal project I find myself absorbing new information all the time.  Purchasing, planning, building, and solving conflicts within your plans forces you to study and learn everything you can before making the next move.  I wasn't going to make a thread related to my project.  but after reviewing all the planning docs, I concluded that my templates may be of use to others who plan on building a complex system of any scenario.  My other intension is to help fellow aquarium enthusiasts build the confidence to take on such a project.  I'm no A+ student believe me LOL.  Enjoy!  :wink:  

After the build list was assembled I broke down the contents into two categories; Build Myself and Retail Purchases.  Retail purchasing is self-explanatory; get the items at the best possible price using all available recourses.  (Resources provided at the end of thread)

Take a look at the price list attachment below

On the other hand building stuff requires planning and lots of it.  Oyah, you must poses the tools and skills needed to complete the projects you set out to do.  Fortunately I have experience in several trades and lots of tools making it possible to complete the task's.  Here are the projects that I decided to tackle:

Electrical
Top-Up System
Canopy
Base          
Plumbing
Sump
Overflow   (PLANS TO COME SHORTLY)
RO/DI installation (NO PLANS, JUST GETTER DONE) :D

Check the plans attached below:

I will post pics as the project progresses and things start to take shape.  Many thanks to all who assisted me thus far in my venture (DARKPHREAK)  :wink: I have all the diagrams, links, Project timeline, and other good stuff all in one excel doc.  pm me if you want it.  Lots more helpful goodies which you can tailer to your liking.  8)

gator

Great plans!
Are you going to grow macroalgae in your refugium?  If so, you'll need a light, and perhaps the bulkhead which seperates if from the rest of the sump could be opaque to cut down on undesirable algae growth in the other compartments.   You could also have the photoperiod in the fuge alternate with the main tank.  This helps stabilize ph and O2 levels overnight.

FishPassion

Wow I like what I see, my 50 is going into its 7th month now and I made some miscalculations during setup. I sometimes think of expanding my SW setup to 160 gallons which wouldnt be hard to do for me because I took over a 12 foot wall in the dining room and built a wall unit of black oak into it which now houses 3 tanks across it, 2x50 gallon and one 60 gallon. Sumps could still be placed in the base of the wall system but then I look at it financially and the red light comes on besides my wife would move my wall of tanks and myself in the garage or backyard lol. I really like your spreadsheets and calculations I purchased 90% items used of which I have no regrets except for my Seaclone 100 which is ok for a 50. Good luck and keep hammering away you sure look like you have a beautiful setup in the works.
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

LowKey

Quote from: "gator"Great plans!
Are you going to grow macroalgae in your refugium?  If so, you'll need a light, and perhaps the bulkhead which seperates if from the rest of the sump could be opaque to cut down on undesirable algae growth in the other compartments.   You could also have the photoperiod in the fuge alternate with the main tank.  This helps stabilize ph and O2 levels overnight.

Hi Gator

If you take a look at the sump layout you will see a 12" wall separating the fuge from the rest of the sump.  I will be using a dark tinted acrylic pane to reduce unwanted algae growth in the return section.  Eggcrate will be placed on top of the bulkhead to ensure what's in the fuge stays in the fuge.  

As for lights, I picked up a 42 watt (twirly) bulb and fixture from home depot.  Cost: $31.00.  Many have had great success growing Macro with this inexpensive setup.

dannypd

WOW!

This would be an AWESOME article in the newsletter, with images and everything...I can see this going all out and being popular on google :D

az

a nice DIY write up is always appreciated.......great planning btw.

i am lookn to get help building a acrylic tank sometime next month.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

artw

yes I am assuming this $1500 is canadian, and doesn't include animals.
if you can pull this off,  write a book, you'll make millions.
I would like to see this in the newsletter.

Maitre007 - Note from the peanut gallery - Copy and paste this thread!

gator

Hi Lowkey:

Do you plan to use live rock of any description?  Purchasing it would add a lot to your budget, but I think there are ways you can cast your own using aragonite gravel, cement and sand forms.  You have to soak it, etc., to get rid of the bad stuff.  But if you made the vast majority of it, and bought a only a few pieces of the real stuff to seed it, you could save tons 'o cash!

LowKey

I must add, that live stock would be extra in cost and is not included in the spread sheet.   In my case I have a 50 gal and a 33 gal both overflowing with livestock.

Fish
Cleanup crew
Substrate
Frags
Liverock
etc' etc.

But one must acquire these items over time in order to create a successful eco system.  In my case, I will be using the water from both aquariums to fill the 90 gal therefore I can make my additions quickly.  But most do not have this option therefore I did not include it in my Material list.  This is more of a system Thread I guess. Patients is the key  :D  :cry:

Anyway, Here are some awesome links related to the Saltwater Hobby:

A local site with piles of guys/gals who know their stuff.  Ivan runs the store MINT PRICES.  What a setup in his basement!!:
www.aquariacanada.com

Another retailer located in the west end of Ottawa.  These lads wont steer you wrong.  
http://www.marinescape.ca/

Reef Central is a international site, you name it they have it!!! Wait until you see some of the stuff on this site, JAW DROPPING:
www.reefcentral.com

Finally, a great site for easy access to information.  Mark is a great guy to talk to when you're stuck in your planning.  He's done it all. Oyah, and he is the DIY acrylic and sump master:
www.melevsreef.com
Hi RO/DI section is a must read!!!!!!!!!

Need a skimmer? I now of alot of people using his stuff with positive results.
http://pages.videotron.com/harley77/

gator

Since you have two tanks already stocked with stuff, you should have no problem at all with stocking your 90 gal!  Where are you getting the float switches from?   I'd love to get a topoff system like that going since I hate having to add water every two or three days, and also a system like that keeps salinity, etc more stable.  I'd like to have a larger source water contaier, say 20 gallons or so, but have an extra float sensor higher in the sump that over-rides the lower sensor and shuts the power to the top-off pump in case the lower sensor fails.

My ultimate goal is to have a completely automatic tank, using sensors and dosimeters to add trace elements, calcium, iodine, etc, when required.  In the first place, I'm lazy, but I also like the esthetics of having a system that is virtually no-maintainance.  It apeals to me in the sense that it would require no "interference" except for topping off the various element dispensers, etc. etc.  I'm not sure this is feasible given the curent state of aquarium technology, but I think it is still a worthy goal to strive for.

DARKPHREAK

Awsome write up LowKey.

Gator,

There is someone who makes float switches on AC.

http://aquariacanada.com/index.php

Everyone that uses them thinks they are great, myself will be adding some when my 90 is setup. PM IJO(IVAN) about them.

dannypd

Quote from: "gator"
My ultimate goal is to have a completely automatic tank, using sensors and dosimeters to add trace elements, calcium, iodine, etc, when required.  In the first place, I'm lazy, but I also like the esthetics of having a system that is virtually no-maintainance.  It apeals to me in the sense that it would require no "interference" except for topping off the various element dispensers, etc. etc.  I'm not sure this is feasible given the curent state of aquarium technology, but I think it is still a worthy goal to strive for.

I got into this hobby officially "alone" last year.

Since then, the reality of me doing this is becoming higher and higher!

Find my other posts I've made with various tweaks and such.... most of them I dont keep for more then a month until I find something else to tinker with.  If I had more money, my 'experiments' wouldn't fail as fast.

LowKey

I finally completed all the side projects except for the sump which I will assemble this weekend.  The completion of the base will take place after the system has been operating successfully for at least a month.  Simply, for accessibility reasons.  

Testing has gone fairly well over the past few days.  

Here a list of problems encountered:

Problem: Overflow box had a tiny leak in the bottom left corner
Solution:  Aquarium silicone was used on the exposed joint

Problem: Fuge plumbing was leaking in a one area.
Solution: completely changed the design using ¾" rigid plumbing

Problem: Lack of flow form the Mag 7
Solution:  Removed all the elbows between the pump and the T-fitting through the use of flex hose rather than rigid PVC.  

Everything else worked as expected.  After the above correction were made I re-tested the system.  All is in top running order.  

One thing I'm debating on changing is the Mag 7 for something stronger for a sump pump. But, I like the idea of having a slow but steady rate of flow going through the sump.  This gives the filtration systems ample time to remove unwanted crap from the water.  So I think I'll stick with the Mag7 for now and see how it works.  

Ill post some pics tonight.

LowKey

Here's a look at the finished product.  At least I hope:

DARKPHREAK

If you happen to read my post over on AC, "Is the Floor strong enough". You see what some people say about wood floors and water.

Your setup will look really nice

LowKey

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"If you happen to read my post over on AC, "Is the Floor strong enough". You see what some people say about wood floors and water.

Your setup will look really nice

Tank is in the basement. therefore the foundation is plenty strong.  Hard wood will be placed around the setu-up.

LowKey

I've been trying to send my worksheet to several of you with no success.  The file is just too big to send via email.

Solution:  I've separated each sheet into it's own document therefore making the sizes much smaller.  I have edited my opening thread and replaced the pics with the actual work sheets (which include the pics).  

Hopefully others may find them as beneficial as I have thus far.   :wink:

I'll gets some real pics up shortly.

dannypd

I still this being part of a GREAT ovas newsletter...

There DIY guides are a HIT online, it sure will bring a lot of attention to anyone who hosts this....*hint hint*

LowKey:  Make sure you keep printed and date materials, so no one steals your plans and makes them their own (eg:  they write a book...)