Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

stocking my 30g

Started by Soeman, October 27, 2008, 12:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soeman

I've got a 30g tall (24"x12" base, 24"tall). I've currently got a dozen cardinals, a pair of Apistos, 3 ottos, and am planning on purchasing some hatchets to occupy the upper region of my tank. I also have a khuli loach, but I'll be moving him to one of my other tanks once I get them set up. 2 questions:

1) how many hatchets are advisable?

2) I'm looking for a bottomfeeder and need advice. I'm want to keep to S.American species, and would like something that at least has a small apetite for algae (I found that my galaxy pleco L007 that died from ick had no interest in the stuff). I was thinking of getting a Royal farlowella, but i'm worried about the size.

beowulf

For the bottom you could get 4-5 corries and a bushy nose pleco.  They stay small and between them should help with keeping your bottom clean of uneaten food and help with algea in the tank.  Another option would be 5-6 otos that are great with algea and really fun to watch.

Soeman

whoops! forgot to mention that i've already got 3 ottos  :D

dan2x38

LOL... good luck catching the Kulili loach
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Soeman

yeah... that'll be a challenge  :-\  should've done it when i accidentally swung my pH a full degree from 8 to 7 and my khuli was freak'n out swimming all over the place.

Vizerdrix

Hatchets are schooling fish, so you'll need at least 5 if not more.

dan2x38

Quote from: Vizerdrix on October 30, 2008, 03:20:40 PM
Hatchets are schooling fish, so you'll need at least 5 if not more.
And keep a tight lid on the tank...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

tetroid

A royal farlowella should be ok in a 30 gallon, and since it's more vegetarian than the L007, it ought to be a better algae eater. You can't be sure, though, as they'll eat a wide variety of greens. If algae is a big concern, then three more otos would probably be more effective.