Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bristlenose Pleco

Started by GhostKnife, November 01, 2008, 07:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostKnife

Can anyone answer a stupid question for me... Is there a difference between an  Bristlenose Pleco and a Bushynose Pleco? ??? :-\

Laura

Not a dumb question at all.  They are the same.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

GhostKnife

Quote from: Laura on November 01, 2008, 08:04:06 PM
Not a dumb question at all.  They are the same.
Thank you. I kind of thought they were the same. I'm trying to breed Albino bushynose's and I thought I better make sure I know what I"m talking about.lol. Thank's again.

Laura

I read once that there are 3 diff. sp all sold as bushy/bristlenose.  I'll see if I can find ref to it for you, but someone else may chime in too.

Here's a good link - http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=112
I've seen the ref to ancistrus sp (3) most commonly which is this one, so maybe I've just assumed there was 3.....
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

GhostKnife

Quote from: Laura on November 01, 2008, 08:23:27 PM
I read once that there are 3 diff. sp all sold as bushy/bristlenose.  I'll see if I can find ref to it for you, but someone else may chime in too.

Here's a good link - http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=112
I've seen the ref to ancistrus sp (3) most commonly which is this one, so maybe I've just assumed there was 3.....
Very interesting thank you.

dan2x38

I had 5 LDA-08 Bushynose Plecos (Gold Marble Pelco) they are a little pricey but easy to breed, come out more than the generic BN, and eat more algae... I sold mine to Irene she is going to breed them... if you are interested Below Water sells them
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

irene

Quote from: dan2x38 on November 02, 2008, 06:03:58 PM
I sold mine to Irene she is going to breed them.

Hopefully!  They haven't shown any signs of breeding yet though...

Irene

tim_s

Its all about water quality and a piece of drift wood.
Plecos seem very concerned with the water quality when breeding.

Laura

Quote from: dan2x38 on November 02, 2008, 06:03:58 PM
I had 5 LDA-08 Bushynose Plecos (Gold Marble Pelco) ....

Thanks for the clarification that there are a number of different ancistrus sp.  I should have been clearer that the ones typically sold as BNs in the LFS are usually the same breed.  There are other ones out there, but the commonly found ones are the same, just with different names attached.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

irene

Quote from: tim_s on November 03, 2008, 07:13:08 AM
Its all about water quality and a piece of drift wood.
Plecos seem very concerned with the water quality when breeding.

Thanks!  What pleco's have you bred and what were your water parameters?

Irene