Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

more filters than required

Started by new2ovas, November 04, 2008, 07:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2ovas

just a quick question - I was wondering if there is a benefit to puting two big filters on a 90 gal tank?

will the water be cleaner with less water changes or does it do more damage than good having too muhc filter?

I also thought it good to move more of the water around at the surface for more O2.

Cheers

KLKelly

I don't think it will result in less water changes.  Reducing Nitrates (invisible) along with removing debris is why you do water changes. Water changes help keep PH stable and a whole bunch of other things.  An extra filter will help with the debris but won't make nitrates disappear or appear slower.  If your current filter is handling the bioload (no ammonia and nitrite appearing) then the only benefits of another filter would be duplication in case one fails, helps keep the water cleaner with extra mechanical filtration, and the extra aeration. This could also be accomplished with bubble stones/wands.

dan2x38

One thing with extra filtering if you have a lot of fish - heavy bio-load - you will have capacity for a greater bio-filter surface. If your tank is planted though extra filtering works against you gassing of more CO2. If it is a cold water tank that means your fish require higher amounts of O2 so they will have more supplied by better gas exchange. But usually over filtering is never a bad thing. There are certain fish that like & need more water movement. Knowing all your fishes requirements is important for their health and longevity.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Vizerdrix

I always overfilter my tanks, and the benefit I found to two filters is that one week I change the media in the first, the next week I change it in the second.

zima

Quote from: Vizerdrix on November 04, 2008, 09:43:50 AM
I always overfilter my tanks, and the benefit I found to two filters is that one week I change the media in the first, the next week I change it in the second.

Ditto here. This way I also never run into the problem of un- or under-cycled filter. Also helps removing debris faster. I would say it wouldn't hurt to overfilter tanks, but definitely not a requirement, especially if you tanks have a low to avergare bio-load.

beowulf

I have 3 filters on my 112g with my clown loaches simply because they like a lot of water movement.  It also helps that I can clean a filter every two weeks or so and not have to worry about ammonia spikes.

dan2x38

Oh yes by the way I have 2 filters on all my tanks too. The planted tanks I use ACs on with the water level very high so there is no splash. All my breeder tanks I have HOB power filters and sponge filters too.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

NjOyRiD

I run an fx5 and a fluval 304 in my 65g :)
...but i have 15 medium size fish
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

woodendude

I'm a big fan of over filtration, I run 3 Rena xp 3's and 1 ehiem pro 2 on my 150 gal. I do however also have a habit of overstocking my tanks!!!

Montrealguy

I have two of the largest Aquaclears on my 120. The fish do fine, and the current is good. If you keep river fish, you want water movement.

Jeff1192

I have to agree with everyone else. I overfilter my 90 gallon. I am running an Eheim Pro II and an Eheim 2215 on mine.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Laura

I heavily overfilter my goldfish tank - but they're pigs.
My 65 isn't overfiltered, but I have a spare 304 I've been thinking of adding....
700 gal pond - Rosy reds